1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you remove the rear interior plastic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rayxoxo, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rayxoxo

rayxoxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prius 2008 pk 6

Some one borrowed (permanently) my Calif license plate, by removing the two easy to remove Phillip heads screws - that came with the car.

By the way DMV charged me $19 for another license plate. Kind a made me feel, like I was getting robbed for being robbed - but that's another story.

I was going to try to replace the new license plate with a bolt and a nut, with the nut being on the inside of the car. But in order to do this I need to remove the interior trim just behind the license plate.

I have called 3 Toyota service dealers and none of them seem to have a clue as to how it comes off. Either they want me to come in and create a bill or they were really ignorant of the removal. I figure that if the dash can be taken apart by tugging and snatching, the back cover should be a snap. One of them mentioned just pulling on it - but had never done it himself.

I am too shy and too tight to want to break something on my car. So, I bought security bolts instead. Though I feel that they can be treated like the Phillip head screws.

Any suggestions from some one who has removed the interior plastic behind the license plate?

Thanks,
    Ray
    :eek:

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ray,

There are a few threads that describe/show how to do it. Basically, you start on one corner of the hatch panel and pull. The panel is secured by 11 clips. You might end up breaking a clip or two, but I think that's OK. The Owner's Manual also has an illustration about removing the panel.

Here's one of the threads, which includes a link to darelldd's website showing his removal of the panel:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ing/54883-license-plate-lamp-replacement.html

Good luck.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  4. rayxoxo

rayxoxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Boo. It looks like a gravy job. LOL

Ray

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are aftermarket 'anti-theft' mounting screws available. They actually look a lot nicer too. Personally I'd try that first:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00032KC2G?tag=priuschatcom-20 D

1 person likes this.
  6. Raider

Raider New Member

Instead of screws, I used bolts with similar thread size and pitch. While it is not a complete remedy to prevent theft, it will slow them down if they are only expecting to use a screwdriver.

I also placed two small adhesive bumpers where the lower edge of the license plate meets the hatch, to prevent the license plate from scratching up the finish since the license plate is only held in place with two attachment points. I don't think the license plate rattles as much, compared to if there were nothing there.

7. Raider

Raider New Member

I also found the interior hatch panel difficult to pry my fingers underneath but knowing where the plastic attaches, I used plastic pry tools. You can release one, then slide around until you find the next.

I was trying to see how to access the rear spoiler on my touring and see what I could install inside; radio antenna to upgrade sharkfin antenna reception for distant radio stations or conceal xm antenna like others have posted. But in addition to bolts retaining the spoiler, there are also several areas where the spoiler is attached or wedged into the hatch that need to be pryed loose.