1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you replace and gain access to the foglights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jelster, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jelster

jelster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How do you replace and gain access to the foglights?
    I'm replacing my useless foglights with HID. How to gain access to the assembly and where should I mount the HID volt. unit?
    thanks i advance

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jelster

jelster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I replaced my fog light bulbs with Silver Stars. It wasn't too bad, you reach in from the back of the fascia. I found it helpful to jack the car to reach the driver's side. For some reason the driver's side was worse to replace on my car. Don't know about HIDs, unless they use the same housing and bulb mount.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    how much of an improvement did you see in actual fog penetration using the silverstars vs the stock prius fog lights

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anything has to be better than the OEM foglights. They're purely ornamental

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The lights appear whiter but don't seem to project any farther. I replaced all the headlights and foglights on my wife's Outback, and the change was noticable. The HIDs overpower the wimpy fogs so much on the Prius, that the change to Silver Stars wasn't that dramatic. Don't pay full price, get them on sale, and see what you think.

8. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm old. What ever happened to yellow fog lights? I thought yellow did a better job of cutting through fog and white was more reflective.

9. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

i was thinking about this upgrade myself

10. jelster

jelster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does any one know how to remove the fog light assembly.
    I can get to it.. But don't see how it's held in place. thanks

11. L.A. Walk

L.A. Walk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an old post but I just now had to fix my fog light assembly. Once the lower black covers are removed from the bottom of the car. You will have access to the fog light plug. It is easy to remove. Remove the front fog light shroud pushing the 2 tabs towards the rear of the car and pulling the shroud straight out. As you look at the fog light assembly, there is a small tab near the top left side of it. With a small screwdriver, push this tab to the left and pull the left side of the assembly out. The right side should come right out with a little tug. Now the difficult part. On the back of the assembly there is the adjustment screw for aiming the light. It has little tabs that need to be pushed in at the same time. This will allow the fog light assembly to be pulled out of the front of the bumper. It took me about 3 hours to struggle through this, as there is nothing on the web that shows it. After I fixed my light assembly with some silicon, it literally took me 10 minutes to put this thing back in. Enjoy, I hope this helps.