1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you Shift to Neutral Without Starting Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trmaddux, Sep 28, 2004.

1. trmaddux

trmaddux New Member

I am repairing a 2004 Prius that has front end damage. The radiator is removed so the gas engine and inverter have no cooling. I need to roll the car and cannot do so since it is in park. My question is how do I get the car to stay in neutral? I would like to do so with the 12v battery disconnected so I do not set the airbgas off when I arc weld the frame.
    Thanks

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't put the car into neutral unless it is in IG-ON or READY mode, which will mean having the battery connected (or, equivalently, jump-start leads). There is no manual override, according to the Emergency Response Guide.

IG-ON mode is obtained by pressing the power button twice without your foot on the brake. The LED will be amber. The engine and hybrid system will not start in this mode. Then just move the shifter to N and hold it there briefly. If you turn the power off, or disconnect the battery, the parking pawl will reengage automatically.