1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you take out the potentiometer again?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Areometer, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Before the latest server meltdown, I read about a post that talks about someone who took out & cleaned the potentiometer (HID self-leveler) to fix the aiming issue. Can that person please re-post? That post is very precious to me cos' my HIDs are aiming too low and my local dealership has no clue as to how to fix it.

Thank you in advance.

Edward

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you're still under the 36K/3yr warranty, why don't you have the dealer replace it?

I believe the thread was started before August, though the pictures probably can only be seen on the old site.

3. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I already brought it to their attention & they promised to look into it for me by measuring the beam height on their inspection sticker booth, then they failed to update me of the finding & I forgot to follow-up as well. But they have a history of downplaying customer's legitimate complaint/concern and they try to fix the customer instead of the problem. So I ain't letting them jerk me around again and would love to present PROOF from other Prius owners about how dirty the potentiometer can get in a relatively short time. This is the only way to expedite the process & shut them up.

Besides, if a replacement potentiometer isn't expensive, I may want a new one......

Thanks.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The whole pot/arm assembly is on the driver's side of the car on the back "axel". If you get your car in the air and look, you can't miss it. I was under my car during an oil change. The shop has one of those lifts that reach in from the side and lift the car by the bottom edge, inboard from the wheels, so the wheels and "axel" were dropped. It was sitting right there, just like the picture.

5. SynergyGuy

SynergyGuy New Member

Hi Areometer,

I was the one who took off the part and clend it up, since then I haven't had any problems with the lights.

I am uploading the pictures I took that day again for your convenience.

Bill is right about the location of the arm, you can't miss it, you will only need to remove 3 screws using a ratchet tool. If you have a multi-meter measure the resistance bewteen the pins on the extremes of the connector, if you don't get a read of 4.7kOhms it is very likely you are having the same problem, in any case the piece can be opened very easily by removing the 4 screws that hold it together, make sure you check the little gold springs which are the parts that seem to be prone to corrosion.

Hope that helps,

--Jorge

6. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Jorge & Bill for your help.

Sorry for the late reply.