1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do You Tell If Your Prius Has Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Crankykentucky, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Crankykentucky

Crankykentucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello--
    My car is less than a week old. My salesman told me that my 2010 Prius III has conventional oil in it. However, one of the sales managers said all 2010's come with synthetic from the factory. Is there a way to tell before I run up the miles on this newbie?
    The pamphlet with the owner's manual says it has synthetic oil as well.
    I don't know the advantages of going to synthetic, but I know you can't switch over later--right?
    Also, do the new Prius models need to be broken in before your MPG becomes stable?
    Thanks!
    Fred

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The factory fill is 0W-20 synthetic.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    stream gave the actual answer. All indications are that it is a synthetic from Nippon Oil. On my first Camry purchase, the salesman pointed to a fuel filter with the hood open and mentioned that they positioned the "oil filter" for easy replacement. You have the same salesman or a close relative.

I do not know of a 0W-20 non-synthetic, but I have not looked hard. The big advantage of a good synthetic is longer intervals between oil changes. As long as it is a certified 0W-20, you will have no problem. Switching is not a problem as long as it 0W-20.

No, I have a 2001, 2007, and 2010 (between 4 drivers) and the great mpg is good from the very first mile. However, there is a slow improvement as the driver learns how to drive to get max mpg. THAT's what takes breaking in.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can switch to Sythetic oil and back again any time, don't stress yourself out about it.

5. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the only oil you can use is synthetic. that's because the only oil you can use in the prius is 0W-20. The only 0W-20 sold anywhere are synthetic oils.

yes synthetic oils are better than regular oil, so you can run to 10,000 miles no worries.

6. Crankykentucky

Crankykentucky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone. The service manager at my dealer said this is a very confusing issue that comes up all of the time with the sales staff.

Now, I need to learn how to drive this car.