1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you turn off backup beep in 2011 Prius IV?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wewantaprius, Apr 14, 2011.

1. wewantaprius

wewantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope this the right place to put this thread. I see a gen I, II, and III and V section of the forum, but none for the IV?

We have a 2011 Prius IV and want to disable the backup beep. Any advice for the Prius IV 2011??? I can only find instructions for earlier models of the Prius :(

Thanks guys!

2. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like the consensus is that only a dealership can turn it to one long beep with the techstream.

SCH-I500 ?

3. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bet it's one short beep. That's what they did for me at the dealership with my 2010 IV.

4. henry henry

henry henry New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The procedures for 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen (2010, 2011 and probably 2012) Prius to turn off the reverse beep are different.

As far as the 2nd Gen (which includes the 2006 I just traded in for a 2011), it is a simple process which anyone can do in the safety of their driver's seat. That procedure is posted else where in this forum.

As far as the 3rd Gen (which includes 2010 and 2011), the procedure must be done through the software channel. You can buy an electronic device, I understand called an ElmScan5 from Amazon.Com and follow the instructions posted elsewhere in this Forum, or you can take it to the Dealer, and they'll do it for nothing.

I bought the ElmScan5, but wanted the dealer to do something else, so I let the Dealer do it.

If you want the dealer to do it, just make sure to take the MANUAL, and point out to them where it says IN THE BACK OF THE MANUAL, that the car can be configured to turn the Beep Off. What this does is limit the beeping to one beep at the time you shift into reverse.

Note you can also turn off the seatbelt beeps. Show the dealer that function as well.

Note you can also reconfigure the automatic door unlocks so that when you are standing by the driver's door, all five doors will unlock.

I had the dealer do all three reconfigurations ... reverse beep, seat belt beep and all door unlock ... at the same time.

I wasn't charged anything for it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Other's experiences differ. Some find that dealer's won't do it (they claim "can't" for some bogus reason), others that they charge some large sum for it. Be sure to call and ask your dealer before deciding.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not meaning to be a troll, but:

For the amount of time I'm in reverse, and with the unusual shifter the Prius uses, I appreciate the persistant beep in reverse: serves to remind me which way I'm going to go when I step on the gas. I believe that's the reason the design decision was made to set it up thus.

7. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the dealer do it. Now I think I get one "beep"... I can usually tell I'm in reverse because the scenery is going backwards, and I find the "multi beep" feature to be redundant... :)

I was having my alarm re programmed on warranted, and there was no charge for the "beepectomy"...

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, sometimes, by the time I determine which way the scenery is moving it's too late, LOL.

I know with a Prius' towing capacity this would never happen, but recently I watched a lady floor it with a boat and trailer hooked on, into the ocean. For about 4 feet before she hit the brakes.

9. goober_nut

goober_nut Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can do this from the comfort of your driver's seat. Check the forum, but it's something like with the car powered off and you sitting in the driver's seat, press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on your fob until you hear a beep and see a picture of a car with all 4 doors open.