1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you use your DICE?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stomsf, Nov 13, 2006.

1. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Installed on Saturday with no problems -- but now I'm wondering if there are better ways to use the DICE than my "set it and forget it" mode.

Right now I'm putting the iPod on shuffle Album and playing in my "Top Rated" playlist. Also have played the full library on shuffle. Thought it would be neat to be able to list folders and see albums/playlists, but that doesn't seem to work. :huh:

Otherwise I am very happy with the iPod titles and Folders showing on the MFD.

Your ideas??

2. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stomsf @ Nov 13 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]348585[/snapback]</div>
    How do you get it to shuffle? Did you do that from the NAV unit? I haven't been able to do that consistently.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you have to select shuffle songs through the iPod - i haven't found a way to do it through the DICE unit.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use the playlists. On the way to work I use my portable XM radio (attached to the AUX input of the DICE), but on the way home I'm either listening to audiobooks or radio shows, both of which are on the iPod. I can't really shuffle and come up with chapter 3, followed by a song and then an episode of "Fibber McGee and Molly." :lol:

5. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xraynano @ Nov 16 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]350271[/snapback]</div>
    No, it's the setting on the iPod. The MFD doesn't have the iPod functionality and menus as the head unit thinks it's another CD changer with CDTEXT enabled.

That said, I would have hoped that it could read folders/albums the same way. Oh well.

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The DICE instructions border on Zen.

Anybody want to take a shot at how you can control the iPod through the MFD and steering wheel switches? What functions do the 1 - 6 buttons on the MFD provide in DICE mode? So far, I don't seem to be able to forecast what will play when I push a button. Yesterday I had to turn off/on the whole radio to get the DICE to respond to anything. The text display is hit and miss. Sometimes I get the right song but the wrong artist.

I forget why I bought this now....

7. tustin

tustin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 19 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]351745[/snapback]</div>
    My DICE unit does not work well either. I agree that the instructions are vague at best. Jessie at Denison USA says that they are trying to recreate and solve the problems with a 2006 Prius. I'm on the list to get a replacement unit. I didn't get any indication when that might be.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 19 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]351745[/snapback]</div>
    It's amazing how buggy the 2006 DICE version is. I have a 2005 and it's working, although I have had a couple of time where I've had to disconnect the iPod and reconnect for it to work right (generally when I'm trying to show off how it works :blink: ).

For me, D1 lets the steering wheel controls move up and down within a playlist, D2 allows you to change playlists. I haven't tried Album (D3) or Chapter (D4).

Since I actually got the iPod because of the DICE, it would be horrible if it didn't work like that, especially since the main reason for getting one is to have control off the MFD. If my 2005 had an AUX input, I may not have gotten one.