1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does "B" gear work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eugenelin, Apr 11, 2006.

1. eugenelin

eugenelin New Member

When I first saw the "B" gear option, I assumed that it simply forced the regenerative braking to get more aggressive when the accelerator was released. However, after toying with it for a while, I noticed some unexpected behavior:
    • The engine seems to rev higher even when I'm not applying gas
    • The gas engine doesn't shut down when I come to a stop
    Am I misunderstanding the "B" option? Should I be using it to slow down (when I have time) or just rely on the brakes?

-Euge

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only used 'B' gear to maintain control and speed when travelling on steep downhills. I think of it as a lower gear, similar to gears 2 and 3 on my old automatic Saturn. It's like simulated engine braking, I believe. I don't think I'd use it in any other situation than to stay in control when going down a steep and/or extended downhill.

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

The "B" mode will result in LOWER milage, not higher. It substitutes REAL engine braking for the simulated electric braking that regenerates power. You only use it on long downhill stretches when your battery is completely full and you still need engine braking. At least this is my understanding.