1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does Cash for Clunkers get to dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by emnesto, Aug 7, 2009.

1. emnesto

emnesto New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my 2010 Prius II about 2 weeks ago. The feds approved my deal. I gave dealer my check for the difference, and drove out with the Prius. The trouble is dealer is not releasing the paperwork for licensing and title until they are paid. Does anyone know how that happens. Does dealer get a check for each deal, or one check for a group of deals? Or, is there a voucher issued to me that must be signed over at some type of closing?

2. MattsGen3

MattsGen3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as I know it is between the dealer and the government. You will not receive a voucher or anything similar. After getting your Clunker in, dealer has to perform certain things like putting the engine in inoperable condition etc and then send in paper work for the rebate.

Once you bought a new car and traded in a qualified car with proof of ownership/registration and insurance for more than one year, and paid for it (new car's negotiated price (less) rebate (less) negotiated scrap value) you should be off the hook. Even if you financed the car you dont own money to the dealer but to the financial institution.

In your case I suspect dealer is trying to sell you the risk for things beyond your control. If I were you I would push dealer and would consider filing a complaint with your local authorities. I believe with or without C4C, once you did your part (i.e. paid for the new car) it is illegal for dealer not to release paperwork for licensing and registration .

3. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless you signed something about allowing them to hold off on this, then they are really in the wrong here. You should really insist that they do this immediately. If you get hasseled, tell them you just got the dealership survey in the mail and are getting ready to fill it out!

4. emnesto

emnesto New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll start bugging them again on Monday. I can't use the survey-in-the-mail idea because the dealer hasn't processed his side of the deal. Even my check for the difference hasn't been cashed.

5. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's what they did to my vehicle, so I currently have a dealer plate. I just remember the bank won't get my title until they register my car! I wonder if that delays my in service date

6. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :mad: I say go back in with fire in your eyes and demand that they give you your paperwork/file your paperwork with the DMV and if they still do not budge, threaten to contack Toyota USA management, your state's attorney general's office and even the CARS.gov folks. What they are doing is NOT right. :mad: