1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how does fuel economy work with the display?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by drewllbrb, Oct 7, 2007.

1. drewllbrb

drewllbrb New Member

The last few tanks I've had have been confusing. The screen will display that I've been getting 50 mpg, but at right about 480 miles, my car will begin to signal me that I need to get gas. I know that the tank holds 11.9 gallons, so I should be well into the 500s on a tank, right? I do the math when I get gas, and the display is correct, but it seems that my car is overly-cautious when it comes to telling me that my fuel is running low. What's up?

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Inside the tank there is a bladder that expands when you fill up. Depending on air temperature and other things it expands more or less, but I have seldom heard anyone able to get more than 11 gallons in. More likely around 10 gallons. I have never gotten more than 9, but I also do not push it to 1 pip, since running out is not good. Neither is trying to force more in when the pump clicks. Search "guess gauge" and "bladder" for further info.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just to add a bit to the previous post, the whole fuel bladder issue has generated thousands of posts. If you are really interested, a quick search will give you a day's worth of reading material, but mostly it says what the previous poster said.

Tom