1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does getting 73 miles per gallon sound?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by splashback, May 11, 2007.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    May 11, 2007
    By Kim Janssen sun-times news group

The last time Browning Mitchell bought gas, there was still ice on the roads.

By the time he fills up again, it could cost $4 a gallon.

Mitchell, of Chicago's Mount Greenwood community, doesn't hide his car in the garage. He drives it at least 38 miles a day to and from his city hall job as an engineer with the Chicago Fire Department.

He eats Cheerios for breakfast, not muesli, and displays no outward sign of meanness.

But getting the industry-leading 60 miles per gallon in the city from his 2004 Toyota Prius just isn't good enough for him and a small but growing band of "hypermilers" -- motorists committed to squeezing the maximum use out of every drop of gas.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldn...EAGE_S1.article

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 11 2007, 08:04 AM) [snapback]439827[/snapback]</div>
    Wonder if this person is a PCer?

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 11 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]440058[/snapback]</div>
    Probably on greenhybrids.com, I think the true hypermilers spend more time there. Most of us here are just "supermilers". This guy spends about $1.50/day on gasoline, I think he should donate some of his savings to the NJ Hummer owner... :p

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He is indeed one of us. See here.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 11 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]440096[/snapback]</div>
    Funny thing is, GM says their VOLT will get that kind of mpg. . . . . you know . . . SOMEDAY :p
    So, they're bragging about doing someday, what some of us do, already. :rolleyes:

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Autographs and pictures will be free at the ChicagoPriusGroup meet-up on May 20th.

I'd rather not, upsets my tummy. But I have a better carrot, if anyone at the meet-up with at least 100 miles on their tank comes within 10% of my MPG, I'll go next door to Shell station and get them a $25 gas card (this offer excludes Honda Insight owners).

Actually the interview was fun and I think the article fairly well written. I think it helped that the reporter is a recent British import driving a new Honda Fit 5 speed above the EPA himself, so the Eco-Driving thing is not totally new to him. Could not imagine if a Big 3 SUV driving reporter did the interview! And as always what was written was not necessarily what I said, this reporter had been hanging out at CleanMPG lurking for a while. For instance, I did have Cheerio's for breakfast but I do like muesli.

I took the reporter and photographer for a 4 mile spin on some 4 and 2 lane city streets around the neighborhood. I wasn't the fastest or slowest, 3 five minute bars of 50, 75, 99MPG. They were sort of "impressed".

Wayne

For the record my tires are pumped to #*@^ PSI.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 11 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]440102[/snapback]</div>
    Well, acutally, GM says that the Volt will use no gas for 40 miles, and then get 70+ MPG.
    Is that what you are doing today with your Prius? <_<

8. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 11 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]440112[/snapback]</div>
    I'm filling up on monday, so I'm up for the challenge, the hard part will be the unfamiliar route to the meet-up.

Oh, do you take any of your cleanmpg merch to the meetups? I am looking for license plate holder things and was going to get one or two of yours.

9. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WOW!! Best I have gotten is 48 mpg, and have been averaging 45, but then again, I prefer the comfort of AC when it's hot and heat when it's cold. :lol:

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once again, Wayne makes an excellent showing. Way to go!

So you're saying that if I show up with at least 7.3 MPG you'll give me $25? Oh gee, I'll try.

11. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 11 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]440102[/snapback]</div>
    This from the people that killed the electric car!! How ironic

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does he only pack the front grill with foam during winter months or all the time? I have been hovering around 57 mpg (drops to 51 during the winter - partly due to winter fuel I think). I could probably get higher if I changed my driving habits a little but that would also probably annoy fellow commuters. As it is, I get annoyed looks for driving the speed limit. :p

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I remove my grill block when temps average 50ºF or higher. A couple weekends ago, he and I were having lunch and with temps in the high 60s to low 70s he still had his blocked.

Browning(Wayne) has a ScanGauge and knows exactly what his engine coolant temperature is at all times. He knows the upper temp limits and even knows exactly at what temperature the cooling fans kick in. I know him well enough to know that he will not do anything he feels is detrimental to his vehicle. I know his wife well enough to know how upset he would be if he did.

So, in the end, I'm willing to bet that if you wanted to block your grill when the temps are in the 50s and even 60s there is no harm.