1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does one remove classsic prius rear seats?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by orange4boy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have not been able to find this and don't have the manuals yet.

Anyone know where to look or can get me started?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With determination, lift the seat bottom and take it out. You'll then see two loops at the bottom of the seat back held in by two bolts. Remove the bolts and then with determination, lift the back up and remove. ... Wear old pants.

Bob Wilson

3. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    got it! thx

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Before you put the seat back in, see if you can find some sort of extending hinge that might allow us to fold down the rear seats. The European and Japanese models have 40/60 split, fold down, rear seats. Even if we have to fold down the whole back seat, this would be a significant improvement in utility.

I have checked the local salvage yards but not found an Echo, fold-down, rear seat backs to try and fit into my NHW11 Prius. The lower, fitting hardware remains my problem and you might see something I've missed.

Bob Wilson

5. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish they were fold down as well.

Might be tricky because of the curve in the seat but not impossible. even something as simple as a couple of hinges on the bottom edge but as high as possible would work. Would need velcro or something on the top edge to hold it up. One wrinkle is the centre seat belt which would be a pain to move but it could be left behind the seat until needed. Also, removing the "back rest bars" might make the back a bit spongy.

OTOH I rarely have passengers. If I do it I will post a new thread.

Add to project list: #5293: Fold down Prius seats.