1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does Prius handle high water?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by richlaz, Oct 12, 2007.

1. richlaz

richlaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We had very heavy rains here yesterday, and driving home I encountered times where the water I was driving through was pretty high. I know in my other cars, as long as I kept the RPM up, there was no problem. I was wondering how the Prius handles high water.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is subject to the same hazards as any other vehicle of the same size. Water ingestion through the intake can ruin an engine before you've figured out you have a problem, and even shallow flowing water is extremely dangerous. If you wonder for even a second "Can I make it through that..?" then you really ought to find another way around.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Unlike your other cars, you can't rev up the prius hoping to blow the water out of the tailpipe. Try it when it's dry outside so you know your/her limitations. She don't rev in my experience.

4. prius2go

prius2go Member

What about running in EV mode?

Some cars have air intakes in the wheel arches or alternators or ABS systems within 6" of the ground :angry:

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was driving in the LIE HOV lane yesterday in the super heavy rain. Cars infront of me slowed down. I had no problem with stock rim and tires.

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Oct 12 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]524736[/snapback]</div>
    I wondered the same. How well are any low-lying electrical components sealed against water?

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Oct 13 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]525204[/snapback]</div>

Hi Mkaresh,

From a safety point of view the sealing of the wires against water is not an issue. The the hybrid drive power wiring is isolated from chasis. If there is any dangerous level of current from the battery wires to ground, the ground fault interupter trips, and isolates the battery in the steel case its in.

A big problem with high water and the Prius is that the front air dam is so low, it will plow water up into the engine compartment. The car was designed to be aerodynamic, not hydrodynamic.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How doe the Prius handles high water?

Like any car.

First it acts like a boat which lost its motor and is set adrift.
    Then it acts like a submarine with no power and flooded ballast tanks.

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those loser competitions . . . "I made it through three feet of water" - where the ultimate braggart is the biggest loser. <_<

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my experiance... and i abuse my cars :)

the prius does fine in the rain. toyota warns not to pass a certain measure. i remember it being quite low. I've splashed, drove through deep puddles/lakes.. lol.. and much more.

there was an issue that was brought up in the older 04 and 05 models. there is a harness on the outside of the car that trips (gfi breaker) if water hits it. i think they changed the design on the newer cars. some owners said you could hot glue or silicon caulk the connector.

i'm sure some of the older gentlemen or ladies on here can fill this in for us. sorry i'm short on details, i don't have bookmarks on my friends laptop. :)