1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Does The Official Plug In Prius Work?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 26, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know the Prius Plug In is out on test at the moment and I believe the battery has about a 15 mile EV only range.

What I don't know and am really curious about is how will the car work and drive?

If you just need to nip to the shops I imagine it will allow you to start it up in EV mode (like now) and you drive the 5 mile round trip to the shops on electric only. Then plug in and charge on your return.

Or will it just be run in the same way as the existing Prius but just stays on electric mode longer before kicking the engine in, say when faster acceleration is required or on hills.

Or would it be both? Are my assumptions correct? Also, did I read somewhere that the official plug in wont have an EV button?

Appreciate any comments.

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is like an electric vehicle in the charge-depletion-mode for the initial 15 miles.
    If power demand is too high (over 100% HSI, or PWR zone), it starts engine.
    There is no EV button.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got a few more questions. I think I understand what you're saying but just want to clarify a few more queries.

Say I had one tomorrow and was going to do my job as a taxi driver, where I will drive about 150 miles around heavy traffic all day. The temp outside is about 4c.

When I start the car (put it in ready mode) does the engine kick in after 8 seconds like it does now? Will the engine fire up to warm the heating and cat up? Or is there another way of providing heat?

Once the initial charge has gone after the first 15 miles or so, does the car operate like the existing Prius now? or does it become a 'normal' petrol car? Are there two traction batteries or once the initial 15 miles has gone, does the car keep some power in reserve to operate like the traditional Prius?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at - I'm not a particularly articulate person :)

Thanks again for your help Ken.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The plug-in Prius has a heat-pump A/C and it provides cabin heat.
    I think it works well at 4C, but it can't provide heat at fairly cold temperature.
    The plug-in Prius operates like the existing Prius in charge-sustain mode.

Ken@Japan

3 people like this.
  5. odaigle

odaigle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Technically, what are the main differences between the PlugIn and the non-PlugIn Gen III Prius? My understanding is that, appart from the LiIon battery, there are little differences. Same electric motors, same ICE. I guess there are some software differences, like the threshold of power demand before starting the ICE and everything related to power management, perhaps some different warm-up stages to better use EV mode. Is there any hardware that differs between PlugIn and non-PlugIn?