1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does the Sat Antenna go through the windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hammy, May 12, 2008.

1. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After a month of delays from buying from Dogstar Radio (the Toy-SSC-1 & the SCC1 ) it finally arrived from TSS-Radio. I plan on installing it this weekend. I have the PriusChat install instructions but want to put the magnetic antenna on the roof instead of in the spoiler. How does the antenna wire go through the windsheild or rear window seal without damaging it? Better yet how can the antenna work in the rear spoiler as the instructions suggest? I would think it would work better just mounted to tthe inside of the windshield rather than in a metal spoiler. I almost went to a radio shop to have it done but it looks to easy except for the antenna mount. Any sugestion? :der:

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A typical install has the satellite antenna on the roof, placed a few inches from the rear hatch opening. use the adhesive wire guide and run the wire into the hatch opening from the top, lift the molding around the hatch opening and run the wire under that into the inside/headliner of the car. Now route the wire to the rear passenger door frame, down along side sill and toward front of car, under the lower trim, then up to glove box area, where it will connect to the tuner.

If placed on roof around windshield, run down windshield edge and into gap between quarter-panel and door. Lift door molding or use existing wire tunnel to route antenna wire into interior.

The spoiler is composite (plastic), not metal. So antenna reception is not affected.
    Typical reason for install there, or under a sharkfin antenna, is to hide the satellite antenna, and have something clean and unique.

Enjoy your new satellite radio. It's a great service and full integration is neat too. If you feel the volume is too low in Sat mode, there is a toggle code to increase the volume, where it is equal to radio/cd.

3. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much. I think I will stick with the spoiler istall if you say the reception will be as good as the roof install.

4. leftie1277

leftie1277 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hammy,
    I am going for the spoiler install for the antenna this Thursday when I get Sirius hooked up...after hearing that reception is not affected by the spoiler install, its a no brainer for me...

-Matt