1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does Toyota determine when to replace tires for free?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MyWifeHasaPrius, Oct 15, 2007.

1. MyWifeHasaPrius

MyWifeHasaPrius New Member

Im new to the forum and a have a question about the free tire replacement warranty that we got with our '05 prius. It says we have to go to a Toyota dealership to get our tires balanced and rotated (not free). And when, in my determination, its time to change the tires she takes it in to Toyota. They tell her the tread is not worn enough for them to replace it. And I have no doubt that its worn enough. I mean the outer edges of the tires have NO thread...they're slick! How in the world do they justify that? How do they measure the wear? Im affraid they're just taking advantage of my wife and I feel like going over to Toyota and kicking nice person and taking names. But I wanted to research this first. Any insight on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope that the warranty you have specifies a tread depth and doesn't just leave it totally to the discretion of the dealer. Take a look at that first.

Not sure I'd recommend buying such a warranty in the future...are you stuck with the tire of their choice? OEM replacements? Just hard to believe you're going to come out on the best end of any kind of deal like that.

3. MyWifeHasaPrius

MyWifeHasaPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 15 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]525830[/snapback]</div>
    They gave us the tire warranty for "free" when we bought the car. I didnt think there were variations in the waranty. I think its whatever is standard with the toyota prius. We bought the car at an out of town dealership and the dealership in our town honors it, so I assume its a toyota warranty and not just something from that particular dealer. Correct me if Im wrong.

I dont think their is a tire of choice...probably oem, or something really cheap. They usually dont last very long.

Nick

4. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've just been through this with my previous vehicle (that I traded).

The tire warranty is through the dealership. It's encouraged, but each dealership has to deal directly with the tire company via claims.

The tread wear MUST be 3MM or LESS. That means the wear bars MUST be exposed on ALL FOUR tires BEFORE the paperwork is even begun. Saftey issue? Well, Hell YES. Stay out of puddles and rain, that's for sure! Anyhow, the dealership MUST submit the paperwork for approval and order the tires--generally same ones that came on the car to begin with.

Scared, yet? It's a dealership gimmick and they're banking on you getting frustrated enough to buy your own. Meanwhile, they'll charge you premium prices for each "service visit" that you make (to recover price of tires). My last vehicle had 65,000 miles on the tires, was down to 3 and 4 mm on the fronts, and 4/5mm on the back. They rotated the tires. Knowing what I know now, I'll take it to another service provider and buy the tires I believe are the best for my driving style.

Bottom line: Gimmick, but stick with it and make 'em squirm regarding the safety issues as the tires get bald... If you can stomach it. Check on your insurance, in the meantime--always good to keep it up-to-date...
    ~smirk~

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Toyota factory tire "warranty" that came with the '05 Prius is part of the roadside assistance program, and covers only road hazards. It sounds like you're describing premature tread wear, which neither Toyota nor Goodyear covered on the factory warranties on the OEM Integritys. Did this warranty specifically spell out a tread life? If so, it was something the dealer offered. Therefore, most here won't be able to help you with the terms. You should read the fine print of the warranty document.

In general, tread life is based on tread depth as measured in the grooves that run parallel around the circumference of the tire, not the shallower siping at the edges. The siping may appear to wear down to little or nothing with tread depth still above the legal limit of 2/32".

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this isn't something you paid extra for then it's more or less a gimmick to get you to pay the dealer for tire rotations...that's where they make their profit b/c it takes no time at all and costs them nothing but they charge you a lot for the service.

I suggest looking for, and paying for, some decent tires. A lot of us like the HydroEdge and Comfortreads from Michelin, but there are other good tires out there.

Most places will offer you a lifetime road hazard with free rotations with the tire purchase (I got my HydroEdges at Sam's...$10/tire lifetime road hazard and free rotations every 7500 miles.) So yea, instead of a new set of free tires you're going to have to shell out $300-400 for new ones, but at least future rotations will be free, the tires will be much better than the OEMs, will last much longer than the OEMs and you're not under the thumb of the dealer. Plus you know your car and family are safe.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to second and supplement what Evan said about replacing the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires.

My guess is that it's time for, and you'd be better off anyway with, replacement tires. A lot of us do not like the OEM Integrities, especially if driving in rain or snow, and actually replace the OEMs even if they're brand new.

Among the premium all season replacement tires available, 3 seem to be favored most by PriusChatters. Each of them should significantly out perform and out last the OEMs. Below is a list of them, with their per tire cost from TireRack.com (not counting delivery and installation). The prices are for the 195/60/15 size, which a lot of PriusChatters use instead of the 185/65/15 size of the OEMs:

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred: $79 (also available in the OEM 185/65/15 size for the same price)

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred: $91

Michelin HydroEdge: $106 (also available in the OEM 185/65/15 size for $99)

If you want to read more about replacement tires for the Prius, there is an excellent thread on the subject started by nyprius, called "Tire Upgrade, Lessons Learned", and which I have linked below:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...eplacement+tire

One final thing: If you get replacement tires, make sure you let the installer know about the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (TPMS) built into each Prius tire valve and rim (I think your '05 Prius has TPMS). The installer should not replace the valve and should be careful to avoid damaging the TPMS.

Good luck.

8. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MyWifeHasAprius @ Oct 15 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]525824[/snapback]</div>
    Your tires are illegal by Europan standards. That should do it!

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/transportstreets...y/Tyre+Laws.htm

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/transportstreets...y/Tyre+Laws.htm

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had gotten the "Tires for life" deal on my 04 Tundra, they charged throught the nose for tire rotations and balances.. I went to a friend that owns a tire store and they do it for free... So I thumbed my nose to toyotas high priced service.

They asked me about the tire service the last time I went in for a recall. I explained I get it done for free. and not to mess with it.. they took it off of my deal..

Heck I still have the same tires on it that came on it, they've only got 33k on them. ;)

10. SMR

SMR New Member

Reading directly from the Customer for Life Program: Tires For Life - Tires are covered for normal wear and will be replaced when the tread depth reaches 3/32... This obviously is somewhat ambiguous. Is this average wear over all tires, or is it 3/32 " measured anywhere? I suggest you visit the dealership and get a firm answer. It would be a shame to lose out on the free tires and mounting at this point if you've been getting maintenance performed by the dealership all along.

11. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SMR @ Oct 15 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]525910[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. My bad--I apologize. It's in Standard, not metric. The mechanic showed me the gauge--3/32 -- that's the wear bar (raised line crossing the tread) and they'll replace--just a bunch of bureaucratic BS. He was referring to 32nds...

Penny Test and Tire Treadwear

12. SMR

SMR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 15 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]525921[/snapback]</div>
    No problem: Your Penny test and treadwear suggests that 3/32 at any point on the tire is cause for replacement. Sounds like the dealership should live up to that method also.

13. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SMR @ Oct 15 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]525924[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, and I'm sure they would, but taking the vehicle in to check the treadwear every week and rotating, etc., became a stress element--especially here in the south where torrential downpours create RIVERS on the highways. Of course, we've been in the worst drought in 100 years, HOWEVER...

They were slowly working toward replacing the set, but wouldn't get the tires until they were at 3/32 all around. I simply got rid of the dealership, the brand, the tires, AND the truck. My Prius (waiting since May) finally came in last Friday!

Yayyyy ME! :)