1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How easy/costly is it to change the interior color to bisque/tan?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SBCA_CA, Feb 21, 2019.

1. SBCA_CA

SBCA_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched google for this, with no real results.

I want a 3rd-gen Prius that's white with the bisque/tan interior and the solar roof option (possibly relocating to AZ), and I have two choices.

Choice 1: 2010, 184k miles, dark gray interior, white exterior, solar roof option, $6,999. (Crappy colors for me, but cheaper)

Choice 2: 2010, 139k miles, bisque interior, white exterior, solar roof option, $8,000. (May still have some CA emissions warranty)

I'm leaning toward choice 2.

#1 SBCA_CA, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would pick choice 2. But I would do a thorough check before buying. A car with lower mileage may not be better than one with higher mileage. You can always keep the cabin cool with window tint (I'm sure Arizona allows pretty dark tints).

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What happened to bargaining?

"Hey choice 2 seller- I'll give you $7k for your car. Deal?"

It's not a huge difference in price, it would not be a lowball insult. Worth a shot.

I've never tried an interior swap in a prius but they appear to be essentially the same as any other car of that era. Meaning it's a lot of parts, most of them are snap-fit, you will break a few snap clips along the way.

It's totally possible and could be done by the average DIY in a day-to-a-weekend time frame. Usually the hard part is finding a complete interior in the desired color on the used market. Buying a new interior piecemeal across the parts counter would cost several times the value of these cars.

#3 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  4. SBCA_CA

SBCA_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course I would have any used vehicle thoroughly checked over before purchase by a licensed auto mechanic. Any seller that balks would lose the sale. As far as keeping the cabin cool with tint, yes, you are correct that AZ does allow pretty dark tint, but the problem is that tint does nothing to actually keep a vehicle cool, it only slows the heating process down somewhat. Eventually, the interior would get boiling-ly hot in the AZ sun. The solar roof option would constantly turn on the ventilation system fan and vent the hot air out, thus keeping the interior measurably cooler, both reducing startup load on the air conditioning system, and also keeping the HV battery cooler than it would otherwise be. For me, both would be huge benefits in a place like AZ. The ability to remotely trigger the air conditioner to run for 3 minutes (if the HV battery is sufficiently charged) to pre-cool the car is another benefit.

Nothing has happened to bargaining, yet. :D This is all very preliminary. For example, I also plan to post in the v wagon forum (because I'd rather have a v wagon, but they don't offer the solar roof) and ask about the possibility of adding a solar panel and a remote start, thus replicating the solar roof package features that I want.

Thanks for the look into what an interior swap would take.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get the vagon, since (1) that's the car that you said you want and (b) they tend to be more adult driven and better taken care of as a species of Prius.
    You're hanging a lot of your purchase decision of a gimicky option that they no longer offer on any Prius (for a reason!) and that can be supplanted by any of a number of more effective aftermarket solutions.

Beware.
    The wagon is less efficient than the G3. (42/39 versus 51/48) but it's better suited for interstate duty.

Good Luck!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Couple of thoughts:

1. Our last car had light tan upholstery, carpetting, even high wear items like door-arm rests. With a few years it was looking very grubby.

2. The solar roofs have been having a lot of gasket failures of late, several reports here.

The Electric Me likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely more than the $1,000 difference (and you gain in mileage too on the more expensive option). It’s not just the upholstery, you’d have to find the door panels and centre console panels (lower one).

8. SBCA_CA

SBCA_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I've experienced similar issues with lightly colored upholstery, but was able to keep up with it with regular detailing, and the occasional steam cleaning and drying. I still greatly prefer a well-kept tan-ish upholstery over dark upholstery in a vehicle. Emphasis on the well-kept part.

I haven't heard of gasket failures, but then I don't know everything Prius. :) Of course, I probably wouldn't even open the moonroof, as that's not the part of the package that I care about. Like the v wagon, which has a panoramic roof with covers that slide open, but that does not actually open to outside air, that's all I'd really care about anyhow. I'm mostly in it for the superior cooling while parked, which the more I think about it, I might be able to get in a v wagon, if I had one and really wanted to modify it. (For example, I recently read in another thread that the passenger ventilation system fan in a Gen3 consumes 40 watts or less on low speed. If that holds true in a v wagon, in theory, an auxiliary battery tapped off the main one and isolated so as to not drain the main 12v might be able to accomplish the same thing)

Just some back of the envelope math says that if I wanted to run a 40 watt load from a 12v battery for 24 hours, and not to drop the battery below the 50% discharge mark, I'd need about 160 AH of capacity, or about 80 AH of capacity with a Li-Ion battery. That's probably doable with a Li-Ion battery, for a pretty negligible weight penalty. It could even be reduced by half if the fan were only programmed to run for 12 hours out of the day.

A remote starter and having the air conditioning set to the preferred temp before getting out could bring up the other end of the solar roof feature, the 3 minute pre-cool, but with a longer duration, as most remote starters will allow 2 10 minute starts.

Unfortunately, I'd want a 15-17 v wagon, top trim, with the advanced tech package, and those are much pricier, by about double. I'm ok with the reduced mpg for the huge gain on cargo space, and the redesigned front center stack, which has no flying bridge, and really opens up the space for the driver.

Thanks for the input!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those prices are way high for a 2010. Let alone the high mileage lol.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're into dashboard gizmos and tech features it usually works out better to get the lower trim and then pile on brand new aftermarket stuff afterwards.

The factory "advanced" stuff is remarkably out-of-date shortly after purchase, and in many cars its inclusion makes aftermarket modification difficult or impossible. Meanwhile the base trims are easy to hack, you can put in stuff that's much nicer than even the current top trim, and you're paving the way for an easy update in 2-3 years assuming you plan to keep the car past then.

Note that this is generalized advice, I've done this on a few different import cars over the past decade but I can't swear that it is directly applicable to a recent prius v wagon.

Regarding interiors- A light colored interior is great for keeping the car cooler during short stops. If the car is parked out in the sun all day it will eventually absorb enough sunlight to feel super hot no matter what color it is. It's during those 20-minute pauses on the 8 stop errand days where the light interior really helps you thermally.

I've always preferred a light interior anyway. It's an easy trick to making a small car feel bigger.

Good luck!

11. SBCA_CA

SBCA_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. As far as the factory advanced tech package stuff being out of date and aftermarket stuff generally being better, in some ways I would agree, but as far as I know, no one has yet retrofitted DRCC, emergency braking, and pre-collision systems, which, while a bit older and somewhat limited (for example 2010-15 Prius and 2012-17 Prius v) DRCC can't operate all the way down to a stop and auto-resume on its own, they're all still quite helpful, especially for me. The most advanced car I've ever owned had one airbag each for the driver and the passenger, anti-lock brakes, plain cruise control, and that was the extent of the safety and driver assists.

You hit on a second reason other than temperature reasons that I want the light colored interior - To make the vehicle feel more spacious. That feeling is just magnified with a light colored interior in the v wagon, which is only a hair less than 6 inches longer than the normal liftback Prius, but seems to somehow have a lot more room than 6 inches of extra length would seem to imply. My best friend owns a black vehicle with black interior, and I don't care for it at all.

#11 SBCA_CA, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you are correct- the emergency auto braking and auto cruise stuff is not something you're going to retrofit. The comma.ai guys are working in that space but I think they are using cars that already have that level of stuff in it as a baseline.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Late to this party I realize.
    But my two cents are...

#1. I wouldn't bother with the expense and effort/work of trying to switch interior colors. With less than $1000 difference? "IF" you are really sold on getting the bisque, lighter colored interior, just go with the option that gives you it.

#2. The above post, is also my experience with lighter colored interior vehicles. They can look great when new, but take more dedication and work to maintain. If you're willing to go that extra mile? Can still be worth it. ---Personally however, I think I'd just go with the regular interior--darker colors. With the Prius? The windshield is so big, IMO it feels spacious, regardless of interior shade.

Bonus 3rd Cent:

I had a cousin who owned a Ford Probe. It came from the factory with what I would call lip stick red interior. IMO it was horrific. BUT....it was incredibly durable as far as not showing wear.
    Years, and years later, it was still as gloriously garish and ugly as it was when new.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. SBCA_CA

SBCA_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've seen 80's Ford cars with that very, very red interior (I also owned one that had blue for the interior color). Great for hiding wear, not so much for enjoying.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may of been an 80's...and to be honest, I can't remember the name of the vehicle..I'm guessing a Probe. I really think it was one of those box'y headlighted EXP's.

I was young, and he was going to sell it to me for a pretty good price at the time. But I couldn't get past the red interior. So I passed. Kind of too bad, as it was kind of a unique vehicle and would of been fun to put in my resume of past owned vehicles.