1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Easy is it to Run Wires in the Ceiling Liner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kenmce, Nov 30, 2008.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I want to improve the sad, sad, lighting in the hatch area. I'd like to tap into the existing light that is on the left rear of the hatch area for power, run wires from there around the ceiling and into the hatch. Anyone know how hard it is to get up in the liner without destroying it? How about the side panels? How does one get a new wire into the rubber tunnels that carry existing wires into the hatch door? How hard is it to strip trim off the inside of the hatch?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The trim comes of the hatch easy enough, it's just clipped on. You will have to pull on it quite a bit to remove it though. I would invest in a panel removing tool to keep from damaging the clips. The side trim is easier; there are some clips to pop loose, you will have to remove the 2 screws that are in the side panel, the seat bolster panel, and finagle the seat belt through the little slot. The hardest part will be fishing the wires through the rubber grommet. You may get lucky and they might pop through or you may have to fight it. I found it easier to pop the grommet out and them feed the wire through than trying to feed it through in place.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why not install brighter LED bulb in the same housing? That will save you all the hassle.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Jelloslug, Thanks for the advice! if I ask for it by that name, will a car parts store know what I mean by a "Panel Removing Tool"? Any advice for how to operate it? I don't have anything but my car to practice on and I don't want to fnord it up.

USBWolf, even if I were to put, say a 50 watt incan, in that spot, it would still be poorly located. Anything tall on the left will hide it, anything to the right of something tall will be hidden in shadow, and it is nicely positioned to shine in my eyes while I'm in there.

I'm usually OK with putting in some work up front to get a solid high quality result. In my last Pri when you opened the trunk it looked like I had a fluoresent light hidden in there somewhere. In a pinch you could kneel down and use the trunk as a flat well-lit work space. The entire trunk was clearly lit and no emmiters were visible to the naked eye.

I am thinking of going with a single brighter LED bulb in the ceiling lights. I've found one that looks good and need to go out and measure the space available in the center opening.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here are some pics of panel removing tools, they may be called "clip removing tools" also:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]