1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How easy is it to use Google Maps for navigation with an iPhone on the ‘23 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by priusmouse, May 3, 2023.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I use an iPhone but use Google Maps to navigate. How easy will it be to do this in the 2023 Prius? What does the process look like?

2. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If you use carplay it's easy enough. Register the phone with carplay, open up Google maps on the car's touchscreen. To get out of carplay you need to use the Toyota icon, I think that's the biggest stinker.

I recommend connecting the phone via wire though, wireless carplay is... unreliable, at best.

Downrange likes this.
  3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just going to point out that Toyota's nav system now uses Google Maps as its integrated system. The giant negative is that it costs $15/month to enable its complete set of features(the real-time stuff). But if you don't need cloud-based, real-time functions, the standard integrated nav might(I stress, might) be good enough to keep you from needing to use your phone for nav.

4. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Without the subscription, Will it just give you verbal directions as you go like on the phone? Thats all i need. How do you enter an address/location with the built in system? Is it all voice recognition? Keyboard?

lol def not paying for that, that practically negates any gas savings you get from the car. I do not know with dealer markups etc these things are becoming less and less rational to buy. Theres no good car on the market rn. Teslas still to pricy

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    After doing some digging, I'm going to have to backtrack my thoughts. It's possible there's a basic level of Goggle nav available without a subscription, but I'm a lot less sure of that then I was before the extra digging. It's very possible there might be no nav at all without the subscription. Sorry for adding confusion.

6. Larry Kay

Larry Kay New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I’ve had my Prius for a few days now and like the wireless connection with my iphone14 and CarPlay. Google maps is easy to use on the screen. My saved locations show up on the screen and you can also do searches and pick routes just like on your phone.

bison3 likes this.
  7. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Something I’ve noticed on this aspect of using an iPhone with CarPlay is subtle differences in the front end display.

Google maps on CarPlay works well, no issues and works without much hassle.

But the Easter egg is with Apple Maps and Toyota native maps (this is non CarPlay maps). The lane changes when using Apple Maps and Toyota Maps shows up on the digital front display as well (the one with Speedometer). I noticed these two are the only ones that does this bonus feature. Maybe it does with google maps and android, but don’t have one to test it.

bison3 likes this.