1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How efficient is Charge Mode in Gen 5 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by deev, Apr 14, 2024.

Tags:
  1. deev

deev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    is there any information about how efficient the engine can "charge" Prius Prime (Gen 5) when in "charging mode"? is it better to just run on Hybrid gas mode, vs charging the battery?
    Thanks.

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally, it's more efficient to not use it. The function is there for when you decide you will want to have a period running on EV in the future, with low battery now and no access to external charging.

If you're using it, it could well mean you didn't manage your charge effectively - it would have been better to not discharge in the first place, and to have been running in HV mode to save the energy for your planned EV period.

But if you do find yourself with low battery, unable to externally charge, then maybe it is worth running charge mode if you can build up enough EV to avoid a number of warmups. Maybe you're doing a long trip now, and you know there will be a bunch of small trips over the next few days that could be done in EV.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you drive somewhere and cant charge at the destination AND want to use remote hvac before getting back to your car, you must use charge mode beforehand. But then you have to get the battery > 30% so I'm not sure how realistic this use case is.

this is more about convenience than efficiency though but so are half of the extra features anyway.

4. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have to charge the battery out of necessity. When I try to remote start the car, it says something like: "car can not be started because the charge level is too low." This happens unless I put about a third of a charge into the battery.
    Seems wrong, is wrong; I hope it gets fixed with an update.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Again assuming you had charge to start with, would be better to hit the HV button to stop the charge dropping below 30%.

Never used this function (do we even have it Europe?) So I gather the remote AC won't start the engine and runs only from the battery. Therefore, if you intend to use it, you just shouldn't let the battery drop that low while driving. Switch to HV mode. Letting the battery discharge and using charge mode to refill it is less efficient.

AndersOne likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could be a good way to burn off old gas, if you find you're doing most driving in EV.

Downrange and Louis19 like this.
  7. deev

deev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    :) all replies are so informational ! thank you all

Let me try to summarize with a bot:
    • Generally less efficient: Using charge mode to refill the battery with the gasoline engine is less efficient than just running on hybrid mode. This is because the engine's energy conversion adds an extra step compared to plugging it in.

• Use cases for charge mode:
      • Planned EV use later: If you know you'll need battery power later when there's no charging available, you can use charge mode to top up the battery beforehand.
      • Remote HVAC: If your destination lacks charging and you want to pre-cool/heat the car using remote HVAC (climate control), you might need some battery charge (around 30%) which can be achieved with charge mode.
    • Alternatives to charge mode:
      • Manage battery effectively: It's better to avoid letting the battery deplete in the first place by using hybrid mode when necessary.
    • Additional notes:
      • This feature is for convenience more than efficiency.
      • Remote HVAC might not be available in all regions.

Agent337 likes this.
  8. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I used the charge mode yesterday on a trip to the Salem Costco. I forgot to charge the EV battery the night before and had only 8 miles of EV range starting out. By the time I left town, I was down to 4 miles of EV range. Using charge mode got it up to 12 miles of EV range which was enough to use driving around in Salem. Driving back, I used charge mode again until I had enough to use for the remainder of the drive home. It works faster than standard 120V charging but your MPG in HV mode will take a minor hit.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone should actually do a real test on this, but that should be less efficient than the alternative of using HV mode until you had enough to use for the remainder of the drive home.

(This is akin to what the European Auto EV/HV mode effectively does for you with "Predictive EV Drive", alternating between HV and Auto, keeping an eye on the remaining charge versus remaining route to final destination - but it would never go to "Charge").

Trollbait likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Charge mode is effectively a fast DC charge for those concerned about battery life.

11. deev

deev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
  12. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That would be interesting to see what the difference is.