1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How far can I drive after the "add fuel" message?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by infoguy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. infoguy

infoguy New Member

How far can I safely drive after I get the "add fuel" message?

Since my last (first ever!) fill-up, I've driven 470 miles at 50.2 mpg. With an 11.9-gallon tank, it seems I should be able to go well over 500 miles at 50 mpg. (2005 Prius)

Can you drive far with all of the lights/bars out on the fuel gauge?

My last car was an Insight, and I used to drive several miles (up to 20?) even with all of the lights/bars off on the gauge. I was wondering if it would be the same on the Prius.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the Prius, I don't believe all the lights will go out. After the last bar, the last bar will start blinking along with the "Add Fuel" warning. The problem with the Prius is that there is a bladder in the fuel tank hence making the judgment of the distance that you may travel after the low fuel light comes on tricky. Some have gone a max of 10 miles while others have stretched it to 150 miles.

Just a thought to the rest who post here. Perhaps we can get a seasonal range for the blinking light. E.g. during winter expect x - y miles and summer, a-b miles.

3. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Also consider: even though the on-board computer has given you an accurate indication of how much fuel it has consumed, that's not the only way fuel can leave the tank. Fuel also evaporates.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mspencer\";p=\"95762)</div>
    Not in the Prius, that's the whole point of the Bladder and the PZEV designation. Zero Evaporative Emissions.

But, regardless, when the last bar disappears and the car starts telling you to get fuel, it's time to get fuel.

How far can you go after it starts warning you? Until it stops moving.

5. majordude

majordude Member

Re: How far can I drive after the "add fuel" messa

Ack! Do you all have a phobia about pumping gas?!

Why would you risk running out of gas?

I've been in blackouts (where you can't pump gas out of the ground) and in riots where you really want to get out of town... FAST...

I always keep a quarter tank of gas in the belly just for such an occasion.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Next time you think of going past the blinking pip, just keep this little scene in mind...

I know what you're thinking... did he fill up with 6 gallons or only 5? To tell you the truth, in all the excitement, I lost track myself. So you have to ask yourself just one question: "Am I feeling lucky today?" Well do you? DO YOU, PUNK?!

8. infoguy

infoguy New Member

Great article! I hadn't seen this one. Thanks!

There's no way I'll try that, but at least I know I can breathe easy if I'm not near a station.

Thanks!

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

not so fast, infoguy...

If you search around enough on here, you'll find a few people who have run out of gas even before they got the 'add fuel' warning - one such person went from 2 bars to the engine cutting out and being forced into 'limp' mode.

However, that being said, I think that it depends on the individual. If you want to push your car such as myself or Ray Moore does to get every mile possible off a single tank, you have to take a small risk of running out of fuel. If you are someone like majordude, who obviously never wants to be caught with less than 100 miles of gas available - then you go that route.

My suggestion is as follows, regardless of your type of driving. When you fill up, keep track of how many gallons you put in the tank. Multiply that by your tank mpg - and that number is a number you know you can safely achieve - but after that, realize no one is really sure how much more gas is in the tank. Dealers "filling" the tank might only put in 9 gallons, or they might fill it to 12.75. But if you always keep track of how many gallons you fill, and how many your car burns, then you'll at least have a general idea of how far you can go without concern.

-m.

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I fill up no more than 20 miles after the last bar starts to blink. It's curious that Prius owners seem to run out of gas more frequently than owners of other cars.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    your MMV for sure but i have noticed with my car that as my mileage increases (at 13,600 now) it seems my tanks are getting larger and part of it i think has to do with the bladder possibly being larger. (increased mpg's has been part of it too. last year i had one tank over 59 mpg, this year i have 5 tanks in a row at 59+mpg and counting) last year, my one big tank had the last bar start blinking at about 520 miles so i filled at about 550. my last tank which was only ½ mpg higher didnt start blinking until 585 miles. i have not changed my filling habits (in fact i only get gas at one of two different stations) so the fill is about the same.

but the stress i feel when the bar starts blinking isnt worth it to me so i fill up as soon as i can get to my prefered stations.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

So far, I believe the furthest I drove on blink is 87 miles. I say 'believe' because I drove quite a bit on blinking with the last tank, but didn't track it. I wanted to at least get 600 miles on the tank, even with the lower MPGs than what I have been used to. However, when I approached 600, I was in an area where gas prices were 10 cents higher than where I was shortly planning to go. A decent priced station was further than I had expected.