1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How far from single bar to blinking bar?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by splashback, May 8, 2007.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have only filled up my Prius twice- both when I got down to 1 bar. Typically how many miles does it take to go from 1 solid bar to 1 blinking bar?

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure. maybe something like 30-50 miles?

And at the blinking stage you should have about a gallon left.

Me? I do what the cars tells me. I drive it until it tells me to "add more fuel" on the MFD and then I do so. I've driven maybe 25 miles after "add more fuel" at highway speed and not run out.

3. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think 30 to 50 is a good range, although for me is seems to be around 30 or so for the last few bars.

I have to agree with SomervillePrius in that I wait for the last pip to start flashing before fueling, even then the car barely takes 9 gallons.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 8 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]437605[/snapback]</div>
    You probably should, but I wouldn't bank on it. I ran out of gas in less than 15 miles after it started blinking. A previous time I ran over 30 miles without running out. I was suckered in by the earlier experience. It was less than 15 miles to the next town when it started flashing, so I figured I was safe. And no way would I be getting less than 15 mpg.

Dave M.

5. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday on our way home from NC it started to blink. Tank only took 8.6 gallons. outside temp 65 degrees.

6. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just don't push it if you don't want to run out of gas. Period. Running out of gas sucks. You can damage your car by running out of gas (potentially, not necessarily). The gas guess-o-meter is notoriously non-linear and much-critiqued. There is one thing that is for sure: The blinking pip is SCREAMING at you "GET GAS NOW!!!"

I guess I just can't understand the need for Prius drivers to get every last drop out of the tank. Your mileage is the same whether you fill at 2 bars or one flashing bar. (OK, OK, but we're *not* going into a discussion of the weight of the fuel impacting the mileage...)

7. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Really 30 miles from one solid bar to blinking +-5 is good estimate.

I avergae 42 MPG over the last 105,000 miles and I go by this yardstick.

once the light starts blinking I have a good 25 miles before amy worries,

from 25 to 30 it is an yellow zone, could run out depending on use, but not likely,

from 30 to 35 is an orange zone, could run out and it is likely,

from 35 to 40 is the red zone, can likely run out at anytime,

40+ my girl friend is driving and I'm asleep!

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Splashback,

There is no beep to tell one when the 2nd gas gauge bar drops. So the problem is not so much how much from the 1st gas gauge bar to blinking bar, but how long from when you notice the 2nd gas gauge bar has dropped to a blinking bar. This is totally variable, as one must pay attention to the road in front of one. And if traffic is problematic, one maynot get a chance to see the 2nd bar actually drop.