1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how hard is it to install a trailer hitch on a prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    looking to buy an after market trailer hitch for my gen.2 prius.

how hard is it to install without a car lift?

what tools are needed?

2. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    4 people like this.
  3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought mine about 2 years ago from etrailer.com. Installation took about 30 minutes and I did not use a lift or jack at all. The only tools needed I believe are a socket set and a box knife to cut a slice in a plastic under body panel. Wherever you wind up buying you might want to take a quick look at etrailer as they have the installation instructions online so you can familiarize yourself with the process.

If you need trailer lights that too is a relatively easy install, though it took a bit more research. Online it was recommended to use a Camry wiring harness that just snapped into the car with no cuts needed. The only thing that had to be done was the connector needed to be re-pinned. It was much easier that it sounded - it too took about 30 minutes - that too I bought from etrailer.

1 person likes this.
  4. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got my Curt hitch at etrailer too on eBay. Be aware there's 2 styles of Curt. The old style that has a bar across the back of the muffler which was not good as the muffler heated that bar up and the new style like Timtims picture where the bar goes around the top of the muffler. You want that one.
    Also be aware lots of complaints where the Curt mount ends do not align to the bolt holes due to poor jig welding at the factory. You have to bend the mount ends. This happened to me. In addition the width of the bolt holes on one end were off about 3/4 of an inch so I had to drill them out. It was a real pain.

You can also buy the wiring kit from etrailer too. Buy the one that just plugs in. Its real easy to wire up with that kit. That and a floor jack really helps holding it up while you bolt it in.

2 people like this.