1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How hard is it to install the Coastal Tech auto door locks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bcool

bcool New Member

Would someone who has installed the Coastal Tech auto door lock mod mind providing a detailed description of the installation process - particularly how to remove any panels needed to get to wherever you do the installation?

I desperately want that mod - all my previous cars for the last 8 years have had this feature & I keep forgetting to lock the doors :oops:

I want to make sure I'm capable of doing the installation before I order one.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

P.S. - I LOVE my Prius!!!!

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have performed the mod installation and it was *MUCH* easier than installing the EV button mod, which was really easy for me. So this mod was nothing, took around 5 minutes. All you need to do is remove the bottom glove box, remove the pass. right vent (just by pulling it off, pretty tight, give it a tug), then remove the skid plate along the door along with the foot plate that that's connected to. It was really easy to perform, just tap 3 wires and your done.
    Worked very well and is a nice thing to have.
    -Brian

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Re: How hard is it to install the Coastal Tech auto door loc

Ditto. I've done all the mods so far, and this one was a piece of cake compared to a few of the others. If you've not rolled up your sleeves on this car yet, then you have to deal with learning how to pop out the vents and deal with wires. But if you're considering other mods in the future, this is a good one to start with.

4. bcool

bcool New Member

Thanks for the info. Are there instructions with the mod for removing all the panels, vents, etc.? That's the part I'm concerned the most about - I don't have much experience doing that.

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Basic "remove this" type of instructions, but the method varies from person to person. Search the board for a variety of suggestions on this. My favorite is the "rubber spatula" technique, which gives you something flexible to wedge between the edge of the vent and the dash without marking up either one.

6. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I ordered this over a month ago... and I'm still waiting for it. How long did it take you guys to get yours?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

This mod is to lock the doors after exceeding 5MPH, correct? BCool's post could imply he wants to have the car lock itself after leaving the car, which from what I understand, the mod won't do.
    If the latter is what is desired, and you have the security package, you can have the dealer set the alarm to arm in 30 seconds, which I hope would also lock the doors.

I think I sometimes forget to lock the doors when I leave the car.

8. bcool

bcool New Member

No, I want the doors to lock as I begin to drive away - one less thing to remember - getting close to 50, you know :)

I ordered the kit last week, but I haven't heard from Coastal Tech.

9. bcool

bcool New Member

Finally got the kit this week - it took about 3 weeks to arrive. It even came with a small box of Jelly Bellys(!).

I went out & installed it this afternoon, freezing my butt off in the process (I hate winter!!).

As reported by others, it was relatively easy to put in. It was somewhat difficult for me to pull the gray wiring plug out (it was at the outer limits of my finger reach), but I managed to get it. The Prius' wires were tightly bundled together, which made it a challenge to put the wire taps on. You also need to think a step or two ahead to figure out how to run the wires on the kit so that everything goes back together.

It works like a champ! When the car reaches 15mph - click - the doors lock!