1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How hard to steal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rlcarr, Sep 19, 2004.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

When we picked our car (package BC) up, our dealer was pushing GuidePoint very hard (a GPS tracker would be installed in your car -- see http://www.guidepointsystems.com/consumerserv.html). For the time being we've turned it down.

He acknowledged that the car is near-impossible to hotwire but said that the "pros" have figured out a way to fake out the engine computer such that it can be started without the fob (whether supposedly by bypassing the part of the start sequence that checks for the fob or by somehow cloning a fob, I don't know).

As a software engineer I know nothing is totally secure, and the car (like any car) is vulnerable to brute force if someone wants it for parts (i.e. put it on a flatbed and drive away with it). Nonetheless, I don't quite buy the story yet.

So how much do you buy the story and what have you guys done with respect to purchasing an aftermarket security system?

2. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is pre-much out of question it regarding to theft. I know differents inbetween Japan and U.S, but Im living in car theft capital in Japan but I dont warry about it. Because theif is not interest about this car.. I only worry about smash and grab...
    If theif will tow a way the Prius reather than hotwire.
    For my theft prevention, My Prius have ID number etched windows thats about it, If they want it they will take it no matter what... Unless you will install Lojack

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The first-ever post I made to PriusChat was about stealing a Prius. I had the exact same concerns.

I have since been convinced that the only way to steal a Prius, "is to load it on a flat-bed truck." To quote some people here.

I did a quick search for "steal" and here are some of the hits I got. I'm sure that once you read through these, you will be better able to sleep at night.

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....2093&highlight=

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....3688&highlight=

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....3186&highlight=

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    >When we picked our car (package BC) up, our dealer was pushing
    > GuidePoint very hard (a GPS tracker would be installed in your car
    > -- see http://www.guidepointsystems.com/consumerserv.html)
    >For the time being we've turned it down.

Unless I had some reason to particularly trust them, I would assume the dealer either has orders to push that option, or that they make a good markup on the device. salesmen routinely push worthless or questionable add-ons. It is a normal part of the business.

5. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

When I ordered mine I was asking them to get the VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Program) alarm. They just said, I don't need it. They told me the Prius has a factory alarm.

is this true? does it beep when you lock the doors? the one thing I did order was the Glass Breakage Sensor

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The US Prius has a perimeter alarm. If any door, the boot or bonnet is opened without being unlocked using the key or fob (eg by smashing the window then unlocking a door from the inside), then the alarm goes off.

The UK Prius also has a microwave interior movement sensor, with a button to disable it under the steering wheel. That gives the system a Thatcham Category 1 rating (which probably won't mean anything to non-UK readers, but it's the sort of thing our insurers like to know).

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"40486)</div>
    Here we go again. In the colonies, those are known as trunk and hood.

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"40486)</div>
    A glass breakage sensor (gbs) (V2) is available as a port installed option in the US. Suggested retail price is $165 ($112 invoice).

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am very skeptical of the statement that "pros" have figured out how to trick the computer. At best, they could tow the car away and then replace the computer (at considerable cost) with a new one including new fobs.

I don't think you absolutely need a flatbed. I think you can tow the car if you lift the front wheels off the ground. Maybe you'd do some damage if the parking brake is set. But a thief would rather ruin the brakes than not get the car.

For the time being, the Prius is probably not going to be a big target for car thieves.

There is no wire that can be cut, or combination of wires that can be connected, that will start the car. Start it with the fob, or it won't go.

As far as etching the windows, that'd come in handy if they steal your windows and try to fence them. Otherwise, the serial number in the engine block seems a more useful identifier.

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its like movie Gone in 60sec :mrgreen:
    No matter how many alarm is install your car, If theif want it they will take it...

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is also difficult to part out. You would need to know what you are doing or "it would be bad". There will be a time when this car becomes easy to steal, but that is not now. You need a "friendly" computer that you can get to work for you to operate the car. No "hot-wiring" this car. For the moment even the repo man has a problem if they don't get a active fob for the car.

11. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

Thanks for all the replies and info!

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Speedracer\";p=\"40537)</div>
    Those were all classic cars. A thief can get your Prius, but without a fob he's not going to drive it. And there won't be much of a market for stolen parts until a large number of cars are out of warranty, and even then, Toyotas are so reliable, that there needs to be a huge number of them on the road before very many owners are looking for parts.

So there's no market for parts, and without stealing a fob they can't drive it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read on one of these boards that if you lose both your fobs the dealer must replace the computer to provide you with a new fob.

13. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    It's more stuff they'd have to replace if they want to sell the vehicle on. More cost - more deterrent.