1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I got my new ver 10.1 DVD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by solarfan, Jan 15, 2011.

1. solarfan

solarfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed during freeway driving that my NAV(DVD ver 8.1) did not display all of the upcoming exits. When entering NYS Thruway I-87 N at exit 21B the display shows Rest Area(2 mi), Exit 22(10 mi) and Kellum Road(43 mi).... skipping exits 21A(I-90), 23(I-787), 24(I-87 Northway), 25(I-890), 25A (I-88), 26(I-890) and incorrectly identifying the Patterson Rest Area as Kellum Road. Since the Thruway was constructed in the 1950s during the Eisenhower Administration I thought for sure the maps would be available to NAVTECH(they are shown on the Thruway Authority website). It seemed that the NAV was ignoring all exits to interstates. Went to setup to check preferences and none were selected.... no areas to avoid , tollroads allowed, etc. I programmed a destination from 21A to an address near Exit 24 and the display did not change although the NAV did direct me to exit correctly. My thought was defective data disc...it's obviously missing exit data. Off to the dealer....tech reduced scale from 700 ft to 150 ft. I thought that was easy... but it did not work. Back to dealer with photo of display and Thruway map. Sat with tech in car to explain the problem. He brought up the NAV diagnostic screen using (Display button-Headlights on-off 3 times) and NAV system checked out ok...satellites were found and gyro operating normally. It seemed the system was tracking the map accurately but the map was lacking data points(exits). Tech ordered replacement DVD and in a week ver 10.1 came in and was installed under warranty. Problem solved(I thought). I entered the Thruway on my way home and found no change... all exits did not display. A few weeks later on a trip down the east coast to Florida I decided to check the exits on I-95. Exits did not display correctly in NY, NJ, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL (probably DE and MD too but I was sleeping). Most missing exits were major interstate interchanges I-80, I-78, I-195, I-276, I-295, I-26, I-40,I-64, etc. I realize that maps are changing continuously but shouldn't an $1800.00 navigation system display all the major Interstate highway interchanges most of which were built decades ago? Or am I missing something here or just losing my mind? I hate to think this is the way it's supposed to work but at least I got the DVD upgrade under warranty and if your experiencing the same problem (I can't believe I'm the only one) so can you. GOOD LUCK chatfriends!

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is the map...not the actual navigation system. Blame Navtec or Toyota for not coming out with more frequent updates.

3. bohenderson

bohenderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Toyota needs to stick to building state of the art hybrids and leave GPS to Garmin. I HATE my Toyota GPS. It has failed me at least 10% of the times I have used it. Every time I go on a trip, I put my Garmin on the windshield and leave the MFD on MPG. I wasted $1800 on the that piece of CRAP.