1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I got personally affected by global climate change

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Stev0, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I own a small patch of woods and have a professional forester inspect it every year. Every year he gave me the same news - "you don't have any poison ivy in your woods."

This year, there are rather large patches growing now. I asked how it got there, and he said birds probably dropped seeds. I said that birds have probably been dropping seeds for years, how come it's growing now but hadn't before? He said poison ivy loves high concentrations of CO2. Because of greenhouse gas emissions, it's now at that magic number that poison ivy loves best - he's seen a huge spurt of growth in poison ivy everywhere in our area.

So if somebody could come over and tell the poison ivy in my woods that climate change is a myth, it would realize it's not supposed to be growing there and go away.

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Don't worry ... your wooded patch will love the CO2.

What else can you do? You already drive a Prius.

Maybe all the CO2 is caused by the politicians jetting all over the globe?

The first time I detect our leaders, leading by example, I will believe the threat is real. Until then, I will definetly do my best to reduce my "footprint;" I will drive my Prius; and make all reasonable cuts wherever possible.

The BBC says the warmest global year occurred eleven years ago. I have been to Alaska and seen that the ice was in retreat hundreds of years before Al Gore won his prize for savings us all (and long before the automobile was invented.) (Even before George Bush was president .... imagine that).

Don't take me seriously .... I am just having fun.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need more deer.

Tom

5. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You were in Alaska hundreds of years ago?

1 person likes this.
  6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its called time travel

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No offense StevO but the sudden appearance of poison ivy on your own owned property and the empirical observations of one forester is as poor an arguement for the existence of global warming as the never ending laments of opponents of global warming siting all the things they perceive haven't changed.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in global warming but I'm just saying it's as dangerous to say, global warming is REAL because this happened in my front yard, as it is to say global warming ISN'T REAL because I haven't personally witnessed A,B,or C, happening in my own personal area.

Give me direct information about the increased CO2 levels of a specific area and region monitored and compared over a period of time and then judgements can be applied. But the fact that you never had poison ivy before and now you do have poison ivy just is too weak a basis for any arguement.

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know that (it's the reverse of bozos who say "Gosh it's chilly today! I guess climate change is a hoax!"), but for information look at the article Dogfriend linked to. Just as dropping a vase and watching it shatter doesn't "prove" gravity exists, you can point to the broken vase and say "Look, that was a result of gravity." Look at the poison ivy, that was a result of climate change.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since you asked ....
    While visiting Alaska last Summer, we hiked (way) back to a receeding ice field. All along the path signs had been erected that identified where the ice field had been for the past several hundred years. Ice melt is not a 20th century event ..... but it certainly does continue.

Actually ... I know it is warmer now than when I was a boy sixty years ago. I am concerned that it can change so much just within my lifetime. I just feel the planet is subject to natural climatic cycles, effects of sun spots, and volcano eruptions. With a few exceptions, I do not believe that man has any ability to alter global environmental events. Man may be able to modify specific areas, for example during WWII, I have read that rain often followed intense bombardments; and the climate certainly was modified briefly in Japan following the A-bomb. But man cannot stop, or change even the path of a hurricane; deminish a severe rain storm; or reduce the frequency of lightning. Those should be easier than one small country changing the climate for the remainder of the planet ... when land giants, like Russia, China and India make scant effort. When congress gets in "cap and trade" it will be evident that it is more about collecting taxes than improving the environment.

Just for discussion: (readers will need to accept that I love college and professional sports - I am not seriously proposing a change): How much energy (CO2; Carbon Footprint; foreign oil and all the rest) is consumed by professional sports teams jetting all over the US?; or illuminating the field during evening contest?; or air conditioning indoor stadiums?; or sports fans sitting in traffic going to the stadium and returning? No one is suggesting we make any changes in these events (like playing all daytime games). You can apply that argument to everything that we enjoy, NASCAR, boat races; vacations; cruises and etc.

I support, and have changed the light bulbs in my home. But if each and every home in my town changed their bulbs .... would it equal the CO2 created by the president when he and his support group flew from WDC to NO, LA to SF, CA and back to WDC? I do not think so.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to worry,, according to a couple of people who like to post on this forum (who shall remain nameless) think that global warming/climate change is nothing but a hoax. So bury your head in the sand, put your hands over your ears, cover your eyes and keep chanting, "There's no place like home!"

Icarus

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For me, the poison ivy issue is one of those things that no one considered, but they are now seeing that increased CO2 concentration is leading to stronger (more itchy) poison ivy. What other effects might we see in the future? Will certain plants (vines) start choking out other plants as postulated in the Nat Geog article? How is that going to affect us (the collective us)?

In California, there is a problem with water. Most of the sources of water are in Northern California; most of the users are in Central (farming) and Southern California. How are warming temps going to affect the snowpack in the Sierras (the source of most of the water)? It appears that it is already having some effect with a lot of "drought" years and not so many deep snowfall years. What will happen if it gets worse?

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Carbon dioxide concentrations at the forest floor (where poison ivy grows) are often very much higher than the 'free troposphere' values (latter currently about 380 ppm). Beneath the surface, where the seeds germinate, CO2 is very very much higher.

Basically I'm not in favor of a direct CO2 effect here. Back before big fossil fuel, the 'free troposphere' was 280 ppm and the forest floor and soil interstices' CO2 were very similar to what they are today.

Up in the canopy it's a different story because that's where the photosynthesis is drawing down CO2.

There are many possible indirect effects (e.g., bird populations, migration patterns, food choices) that I'd be thinking about. But not direct CO2 effects. Not on the forest floor.

I jump on things like this when they are posted in the hopes that some of my PC pals may develop an interest in these fascinating topics.

I read the Mohan et al article (thanks for the pointer dogfriend, it's open access so anybody can download it). Their focus was on plant growth rate; they did not do seed germination or seedling establishment tests. Also all of their treatments are with herbivores (deer) excluded, so there are many aspects to consider.

13. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's self refuting. If you have to state "with a few exceptions" then your thesis is already cooked.

It's not just man, but life in general that can alter the global environment. This oxygen atmosphere wouldn't exist without the life that created it. And we (man) can certainly alter it on continent wide scales, and have done so several times: see the Dust Bowl Days as an example. We've reshaped huge swaths of planet turning swamps into farmland, and sometimes plains into desert...or desert into farms.

Assuming that life can't alter climate is a poor bet. That is the bet you are making. Just because man is the primary lifeform under consideration doesn't alter the fact.

It's especially a poor bet when man is digging up millions of years worth of long dead life forms and spewing their combusted remains into the atmosphere simultaneously.

It's ironic that you would rely on this sort of myth as an "exception." I forget the quote but it extends back to ancient times...something about great storms/rains often following great battles. Can't remember if it is an ancient Greek quote or around 2 millenia old Roman era. It seems to come up in every major conflict throughout history...I don't put much credence in it.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen too much more poison ivy in my backyard, but that
    might have something to do with the notable uptick in RoundUp
    concentration.
    _H*

15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One of the truths evident with the "sky is falling" crowd ... is the absolute, insulting tone towards anyone that disagrees.

There is no need to be nasty. The attitude stifles discussion of the issue, neither does it recruit converts. "My way or the highway" is offensive to anyone that does not follow the political rhetoric.

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Felt,

I'm note sure that Shawn meant to be insulting but I think that he makes a good point about your comment being self refuting. As for "the sky is falling crowd" and the desire to "recruit" anyone assumes that there is "real" debate as to whether or not human caused climate change exists. The frustration amongst many of us, is the vitriol and considerable misinformation that is tossed out to rebut the vast majority of evidence that indeed humans are causing and continue to cause dramatic and (probably) catastrophic climate change, is seen not only as the misinformation that it is, but more importantly an orchestrated effort to cloud the issue, most often for financial gain. For example, the "Clean Coal Institute" is in every sense an oxymoron. It's exists solely for the purpose of continuing to allow the burning of coal, rather than for dissemination of scientific information.

Global warming deniers like to point out that global warming believers are in it so that some "government" can tax and control the rest of us. If you look carefully at who stands to benefit from any real attempt reduce CO2, there is little benefit to be had by individuals. On the other hand, if you look at who tends to fund the "anti" campaign the huge vast majority of it comes from entities that benefit from NOT solving the problem. Big oil, big coal, big utilities, big chemical an big agri stand to have the very nature of their business change at great cost, so while it is self serving and in my mind criminally wrong, their opposition is understandable. What causes the rest of us so much angst is that others have bought the misinformation and to some great extent carry the water of the deniers.

My bottom line is, the vast majority of peer reviewed evidence is that man caused global warming IS happening. The argument in the scientific community is over how much and how fast. The deniers take these studies that can and do have conflicting details, but agree in general and use it to say, "See, the scientific community doesn't even believe this!" The reality is that while the cost of doing something is indeed great, the cost of doing nothing is far greater. The tragedy of this reality however is that it won't be us (those on the back nine so to speak) who pays the price, but it will be our children and grandchildren. This is why folks can sound nasty!

The "Clean Coal" institute shows pictures of sunny skys, flowing wheat and kids flying kites. To me that is nasty!

Icarus

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm also a big fan of glyphosate and diquat

18. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wasn't being insulting. If I had been, you would have no doubt. :rolleyes: I gave you the benefit of a doubt the first time, but your response suggests I need not have bothered.

Life is too short to waste it on willfully ignorant and disingenuous people. There, now you can feel insulted! :D

19. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hate to tell you, but you just contradicted yourself, there.

And yes, there has been efforts to make changes to storms with mixed results. I'm certain that with a decent amount of R&D even large hurricanes could be substantially altered (previous attempts have had only a minimal effect on them at most due to their experimental nature).

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But does that mean the CO2 is being sequestered by the ivy?