1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I learned to love the Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Eug, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The Globe and Mail: How I learned to love the Prius

As I headed off to pick up the Toyota hybrid for an extended test, I felt like a Punjabi groom being pushed into an arranged marriage with an unattractive woman. I'd just finished driving three Mercedes and a Porsche – the idea of a two-week trip in a Prius was a serious comedown.

But the Prius had its own allure. In a high-performance car, this road was like a flight in an F16. Now we were in an Airbus, gliding along together. We talked, and we listened to the radio. The lights of Chattanooga glittered far below us, like diamonds spilled out onto a square of black velvet. I could see that Matt was watching the Prius's economy gauge. Going down the mountain was like pulling into a free gas station – the regenerative brakes were pouring a flood of electrons into the battery. I wondered how much we'd saved: the price of half an enchilada, maybe? Whatever it was, I liked the idea.

A week later, I was back in Toronto with a new test car, a luxurious German sedan that cost nearly $100,000. Like the Prius, it had an instant-read consumption gauge. I choked when I saw the numbers. In the Prius, I had typically hovered around 5.5 L/100 km. But in the German luxury sled, I was looking at 30 much of the time. This struck me as insane. And it is.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Switch into glide: new-age Toyota Prius makes a believer of not one, but two oil-stained gear heads.

Test-driving cars teaches you some lessons you wouldn't expect.

That brings us to the curious case of the Toyota Prius. As I headed off to pick up the Toyota hybrid for an extended test, I felt like a Punjabi groom being pushed into an arranged marriage with an unattractive woman. I'd just finished driving three Mercedes and a Porsche – the idea of a two-week trip in a Prius was a serious comedown.

Now it was in our garage. And I didn't like it. The Prius looked like an over-styled cheese wedge. And it didn't sound like a car – when I pressed the Start button, it remained silent. The only sign of life was a “ready” sign that flashed up on a screen.

My wife and I headed south, toward Lookout Mountain, Ga. This was a trip we've done dozens of times over the past 25 years, but in the Prius, it was an alien experience. There were no gears to shift, and no tachometer to tell me how fast the engine was turning. The Prius's propulsion system was hidden and mysterious, controlled by microchips. As a former mechanic and dedicated car guy, this offended my instincts. I felt like sticking a sign in the window that said, “This isn't our car.”

Seven hundred kilometres later, we made our first gas stop. We were somewhere in Ohio. This was weird. In our Honda, we'd be lucky if we make it to the Canadian border without a fill-up. And the tank on the Prius was clearly smaller than the Honda's – I filled it for less than $30 (U.S.).

This second fill-up took us almost all the way to Lookout. At first, we thought there must be a mistake. Countless people had told me that the fuel economy of the Prius was a myth. “Not much better than any other car,” one friend declared. They were wrong. We had gone more than 1,400 kilometres on just over 70 litres of fuel. Bargain!

And I had to admit that the Prius was starting to grow on me... [continue reading]

[Comment]: Great read all the way to the end. Gen3 Prius is proving to be the mainstream vehicle.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good article.

Tom

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :mod:
    The first two posts to this thread were made at exactly the same time by two separate people. That's just freaky.
    I merged the two OPs into one thread. So if you think that posts 1 and 2 are redundant, they are.

1 person likes this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess Eug beat me because my post is showing as #2.

6. AnUnidentifiedMale

AnUnidentifiedMale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent article, and it made me cross off all of the other cars on my list besides the Prius and the Honda Insight. The author is right: There's no excuse anymore for poor gas mileage.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, this car represents the sentinel event in a whole new approach to mainstream driving, and that was clear right from the start with my 2001 Prius. A lot of my friends had performance cars, but it was the Prius that always generated the most conversation, despite its unusual look and lack of power.

However, I must admit that although the main reason I got rid of the 2001 was because it didn't have fold down seats or a lot of storage, one of the other lesser reasons was because it felt quite sluggish. In contrast, the 2004 I own seems Good Enough™ for my personal preferences as a family car.

Friends who have driven my car have said the same thing. They find the 2004 responsive enough on North American roads, even if it's not sporty, but the coolness factor and the different approach to driving outweighs all.

My friends aren't 20-something Civic street racers though of course. ;)

Heh. I think I beat you by a few seconds or something, as your thread showed up as the latest in the forum list. The funny thing is I saw the article hours earlier (as it's from my local newspaper), but only got the chance to post the link later... at precisely the same time as you. Cue the Twilight Zone music...