1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I mounted my new Garmin c550 (with photo)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dano, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Dano

Dano New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [attachmentid=10232][attachmentid=10231]

This is how I mounted my new Garmin c550 via the suction cup mount......

I have discovered many "side benefits" as a result, other than a secure suction cup mounting location.

Although I do not use the Bluetooth Phone capability of the Garmin (have it in the Prius already), I have plugged the FM Traffic receiver that is integrated into the 12v adapter/charger into the port located in the center console (if only it worked in the Dayton, OH area, but that is another story). I also plugged a stereo mini cable into the iPOD port in the console and the Garmin external speaker port. The result leaves only 2 wires exposed for a very short distance. Now I can listen to the MP3 files loaded in the Garmin via the OEM radio aux. setting, AND it will mute the tunes/audiobooks when giving text to voice driving instructions.
    Sometimes I just turn off the MP3 tunes altogether and have super clear unlimited volume of the driving instructions.

When I want to listen to the radio/CDs/ I just unplug the mini plug and the audio is output through the internal (2) speakers of the Garmin (best of both worlds) but not as loud.

When parked, I just pop it off the mount and stick the whole enchillada in the center console for lame theft protection. The black suction cup mount is very unobtrusive on the black cup holder cover so I just leave it stuck.

Another benefit of the Garmins is that when removed from 12v power (like when shutting off the car) it asks if you want to continue operation on internal battery, If you do not hit the "Yes" soft key it automatically shuts down after 30 sec. WAY COOL!

BTW, this is my first Garmin C series GPS. My girlfriends car is a Lexus and the Garmin outperformed her OEM GPS it in almost every aspect except screen size in a side-by-side driving comparison last night.

Sorry to ramble on, but I could not have asked for a better solution!

Dano

Attached Files:

2. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice setup. We have the Toyota GPS, but I also have a Garmin Nuvi 660 which I do not use in the Prius, but in my truck and motor home. Both units have their strong points. I think the Toyota unit can do more, but if I only could have one it would be the Garmin. One thing with the Garmin you can take it along with you in any vehicle. It is also much less expensive and way easier to update through the home computer.I also like it giving street names when turning instead of turn in 200 feet, bing.

3. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dano @ Jul 29 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]487098[/snapback]</div>
    Garmin makes some fine GPS units. I've recently upgraded from a StreetPilot i5 to a nuvi 350.

I guess I have a safety concern about mounting the GPS on cup holder because, in that location, you have look down (i.e., away from your direction of travel) to see the screen or to use the touch controls. I mount my GPS on top of the MFD. That way, I don't have to shift my eyes very far from straight ahead when viewing it or using the touch controls.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JayGoldstein @ Jul 29 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]487179[/snapback]</div>

Jay:

Good point, maybe I will get the bean bag mount just for grins and see how it works out!

BTW, does anyone use the beanbag Garmin mount, and how do you like it?

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That mounting location is just an accident waiting to happen. You have to totally take your eyes off the road to see it. I suggest finding a spot near the little useless A pillar window. If you tuck it in there, its really hard to see from the outside.

One of my friends has the bean-bag mount for his garman and he loves it. No suction cups or anything and it says in place very well. I was riding with him and he tried to make it move out of place in his malibu, but he couldnt. When he isnt using it, he just picks it up and puts it in his center console.