1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is Noise, Vibration, and Harshness in the Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LasVegasaurusRex, Mar 21, 2016.

1. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How are cabin noise levels in the gen 3?

wind noise, rattles, road rumble, exhaust/transmission drone?

roof rails / roof rack noise?

2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Priuses in general are rather barren in noise insulation so one would have to expect some moderate road noise. The OEM tires engineered for fuel efficiency (low rolling resistance tires) tend to be nosier than most other non low rolling resistant type tires. However, there are good options to replace the OEM tires with quieter tires like Michelin AS and other brands.

FuelMiser likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    compared to what?

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the time to go road test one. The only way those questions can be answered, is by forming you own opinions. Ten different People are going to give you ten different opinions.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is a answer you have to seek out yourself! Answers and opinions varies from one to another. Some are not affected by rattles squeaks , wind, and road noise, some are driven up the wall. Advice is to road test them! You be the judge it your $$$.

6. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I think my car is pretty quiet. Front doors did benefit from some sound deadening efforts I put in while upgrading the front speakers. I plan to do the back doors sometime when the urge hits me again.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Noise , vibration, and harshness is poor on Prius. Its midpack compared to economy car.

FuelMiser likes this.
  8. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    if i end up with the prius first thing i'm doing is throwing Pirelli P7s on it. i'd opt for the ct200h with mark levinson audio instead but the cargo space is pathetic and to be honest i think the prius is a better looking vehicle, and i may as well maximize fuel efficiency. a better audio system isn't worth 10mpg difference.

thanks, how is SQ now that you replaced front speakers and sound deadening? did you do anything else? my mom's 07 Camry Hybrid with JBL system is too tinny but nothing too terrible. i'm a mechanic so i don't mind a little DIY, but i'm not a fan of throwing time and money at problems unless they end up 100% fixed. i'm spoiled as my father has driven Lexuses his entire life and i drove an EX Accord all thru high school so i'm used to a certain level of luxury that my Subaru doesn't offer.

interesting. i will have to test drive one but i really want to know how bad it is at 85 mph (i drive in utah frequently.) i wonder if noise is overstated as it is in the Leaf and Model S because the drivetrain is so quiet?

Bay Stater likes this.
  9. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have no comparison to a Leaf or Model S at 85 but the Prius drive train is not quiet at 85 mph. At around 75 mph is when the Prius engines loses its composure and starts screaming to provide enough power. However, this is no different than most 4 cyl economy cars.

I switched out the LRR tires for super cheap $50 tires after the OEM wore out. Car is lot more composed and handles a lot better. Mpg suffered a little bit but worth the price in improved traction especially in the rain. Although that's my butt dyno and not calibrated.

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have an app on by IPhone that's a sound level meter (dB). It has the peak level saved so I can record it without continually watching the meter.

Get one and use it on your current ride and take it for your test drives so you have some actual numbers to compare.

11. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's not that bad doing 80 mph. Some drivetrain noise is expected. You can always crank up the radio. When I bought my car, the Subaru dealership put on cheap Chinese made tires from Town Fair Tire. I researched them and they are actually passenger performance tires. So I lose about 2-3 mpgs, but on the plus side, the Prius handles a bit better.;)

mmmodem likes this.
  12. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The noise at 85 can be deafening if the road is poured concrete. If it's smooth asphalt, it's not too bad. I switched to Michelin Premiers which made a big difference in road noise, but the trade off was about an 8 mpg loss overall.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does depend on what your standards and expectations are...
    IMO The Gen 3 Prius is a strange conflict of reality in the "noise" department.

Being a hybrid, when it shuts off at stops and/or is running on electric it is IMO very quiet.
    Probably the most quiet vehicle I have ever owned.

At higher speeds, with the low rolling resistance tires and the fact that it is a lighter vehicle there is a considerable amount of road noise.

My comparison however is to other 4 cylinder vehicles....such as "The Fit" and I would say the noise level is very comparable.

How much would it bother you?

I've never really owned a vehicle designed to be extremely quiet, so road noise to me just becomes "white noise", When I stop and really listen....I have to say especially as the tires age, the road noise is considerable, but not beyond the level of any "light" vehicle I have ever owned.

So quiet....sometimes very.
    So quiet....sometimes not very.

Kramah313 likes this.
  14. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is noisy at highway speeds but in my very subjective opinion it is not any more noisy than our 2005 Corolla was.

At low speeds I fit it to be pretty quiet actually. Maybe some rattles, but once again no worse than what the Corolla had.

15. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's huge! I went down from about 46 to 42 after changing out the work Ecopias that came stock with cheap Ohtsu tires.

Echoing other smooth freeways are quieter than 2006 Corolla and 2006 Civic. But if the road gets rough, the rattles in the Prius and the tires are a magnitude worse in noise and vibration.