1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how is startup time, ipod support, and glitches on the new kenwoods

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by austingreen, Oct 25, 2010.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at the 7160 and 9960. Do owners find startup time fast and ipod support good? What about voice recognition? Which one would you pick.

I had my pioneer z120bt stolen, and now my dash has an empty space. I bought it over the kenwoods because of percieved problems with them, but if kenwood has fixed this in the new units I may go that route. Otherwise I will get the z120bt or 920bt again.

2. fairfieldwizard

fairfieldwizard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced a JVC with a Kenwood 7160 and it's light years ahead. Startup time is about 4-6 seconds. It does take longer to start than the car does. But if you have a backup camera and you've already put the car in reverse, the image will appear on the display with no additional effort on your partg. It's pretty fast on iPod too. I have a 16 GB, 1/2 filled Nano. There is a little, annoying delay on all the gestures you might use on the Kenwood screen however. No voice recognition on the 7160, however.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've have a 6960 Kenwood in my Prius II for about 6 months. I commute about two hours a day, so it's had a lot of use so far. I don't know what to compare it to. I would say it's between "good" and "very good," but definitely not great. The GPS is great. The GUI engine is ok. It's a lightyear short of something like iPhone, but it works. I play music from a USB stick. It browses a little slowly, but it plays just fine. AM/FM radio work fine. The "Parrot" Bluetooth is probably it's weakest part. It often fails to connect automatically, and I'll have to use the phone to connect. The Bluetooth has crashed a few times, requiring a power off/on. This could be the fault of iPhone 4, not Kenwood.

Overall, I still recommend it. It probably is the best out there, and it's a very enjoyable product.

4. fairfieldwizard

fairfieldwizard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to say I agree with Rebound. The Kenwood products are probably the best out there and would be world-class if this were 1997. Kenwood (and to a certain extent JVC and Clarion) all wanna be just like Apple with their slow processors, bad user interfaces and poorly implemented gesture activities. It's not like the iPod is new- you would think that one of these car audio guys would figure it out. On the other hand, nobody else has really figured out how replicate Apple except, its looking like Android, so maybe that's what needs to happen.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed DNX6960 tries to connect to the phone only on the startup. Once you break the connection (walk away from car) and get back inside, it won't try to connect again.

I got my iPhone 4 a few months ago and it actually works better than my BlackBerry Bold. The phone dials faster too. I have not had Bluetooth crashed on me. Automatic connection has been solid for me (not counting the reconnect failures or the lack of).

BTW, my iPhone 4 is still on 4.0.1. What is yours? What case are you using? It may be a factor.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. Insurance finally inspected my car and I am getting a kenwood 9960. It sounds like the pioneer is better on ipod/iphone and touchscreen issues but nothing any of you mentioned sound like show stoppers. I'll do a mini-review and comparison after I have had a chance to live with the new unit for a little while.