1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How it took 14 months to get my dream Prius w/ apology

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by PriusDreamer, Feb 23, 2005.

1. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Here is my story. Firstly they don’t call me Prius Dreamer for nothing. I am one of the first to join this forum. I had already been waiting 2 months for my dream. I, being the frugal person I am, tried to initially order my car from a car broker whom I have had numerous (all good) dealings with. He found my friend an MDX when no one else could, for $3,000 under list I might add. Well, because I have given him so much business, he was going to sell me the 2004 Prius for $1,100 under list. Great, I ordered it in Oct. 2003. After five months, my broker informed me that he absolutely couldn’t get a Prius. In fact he stopped dealing with the distributor. Heartbroken, I then went on the odyssey of calling all dealers within approx. 100 miles. I am picky. I had three criteria, I wouldn’t pay over list and I didn’t want to leave deposits all over town and I wanted only the Package 7 (now 4) because it has all the safety equipment and I really do not need navigation as this is truly a “station carâ€. I would accept any color except white. Hence I would only deal with the approx. 1/3 of dealers who didn’t want to take deposits anyway and would take my name and call me if cars were available. Admittedly this approach definitely slowed down my acquisition of my dream.
    I would occasionally get calls from dealers; none ever had a package 7. Toyota in its infinite wisdom had deemed that the NY area did not need package seven and none were sent to my area. Time passed until one day in November 2004 I was searching through the Dealers and Pricing section and I read a post from bolo5757 (my apology to follow) saying that Rosner Toyota in Fredericksburg Va. (325 miles from me) had 18 Prius’s. Now as you all know this definitely sounded fishy, 18 for sale, come on how is that possible. Well, excited, I call the dealership and ask for the salesman Steel. They tell me that no one named Steel works at Rosner Toyota. Frustrated, I write a nasty (apology to follow) response in Prius chat. Well much to my surprise I get a Private Message from Steel himself. It seems that he started one month before and one of the secretarial staff didn’t know him yet (what are the odds of that). By this time I am more than a little suspicious, but having already waited 13 months, I am also more than a little desperate. He says he has a package 4 (previous package 7) 2005 on the lot ready for sale. I say great, he says “whiteâ€. The only color I really can’t live with in NYC area. Not to be deterred I tell him I will accept any other color. He says he’ll get back to me. Surprised, he calls me the very next day, “I have a Salsa Red coming in, in early 2005.†Really wanted black and had never even seen a red one in person at that point, but I jump on it.
    It just so happens I am driving down to Maryland on January 7, can it be ready? He’ll get back to me. Now, I am over three hundred miles away, and am dealing with someone who even his staff didn’t know, but remember I am desperate. He says “yes it should be in early the first week of the yearâ€. I leave him a credit card for deposit. Days go by, than weeks, no VIN number. I am getting more than a little nervous that yet another deal is about to fall through. Wouldn’t you know it, a happy ending. He gets me the VIN number four days before I am going to drive down to MD. Bolo5757, remember when I said if he gets me the car I would sing your praises for years to come, well if I could only sing you would be hearing it now. I do want to apologize profusely and thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is why this is such a great forum. I know it’s been a loooong post, but one more thing, Steele was GREAT. Delivered on time, no hassle, list price (admittedly with that annoying $279 paperwork fee they charge down there, what’s with that, but his boss even reduced the price by $100 because I was driving so far to get the car) and exactly as promised. Thanks everyone for listening, I may have to change my user name.
    P.S. – One month and needless to say I love my Prius.