1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long before America becomes a Theocracy?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe it won't be just America, imagine a One World Theocratic governmental body insisted upon by the masses driven to this by terrorism, disease or disasters. Things have quieted down from the supporters of this idea lately and that worries me.
    So what’s your best guess and what events will have to take place to kick-start this disaster? Simple political power won’t do it and large disasters generally drive us together. What institutions will be involved, will the UN, Catholic Church, Islam, European Union etc. . . be players or will some or all one by one quietly escape notice through conformity or simply become irrelevant? Is a one world government necessary or will a small cadre of power players be enough? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Wildkow

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 5 2007, 04:37 AM) [snapback]507234[/snapback]</div>
    Kow, I gather from your tone that you're opposed to the idea of theocracy. As someone who endorses religious belief, why would theocracy be something to avoid rather than work toward? I ask the question without cynicism: it strikes me as contradictory that, if someone regards religion as a vital, significant and beneficial dimension of social life, that one would refrain from writing such benefits into law in order to assure their wider dissemination, just as we have written the wide dissemination of civil liberties and compulsory primary education into law.

As to whether the USA or the world itself ever become a theocracy, I think the accelerating trend of humanity to make itself literate and educated decreases that likelihood to insignificance. The inverse correlation between education and religious belief is well established, and while there are certainly examples of highly educated believers and uneducated non-believers, they are in the fringe percentiles. Thus the general global trend is away from theocracy rather than toward it.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]507295[/snapback]</div>
    I thought "we" had written into the law the guarantee of the freedom not only to hold religious beliefs, but also to express them. It seems to me this is a critical civil liberty, No?

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]507295[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know the basis for all of these statements, but I'd be curious to see who conducted the research leading to these conclusions. I wish I could believe there is an accelerating trend toward literacy and education. Instead, I think I see an increasing separation between some societies that encourage higher education and those who don't have enough resources even to house and feed their own, much less provide incentives to increase literacy and education.

Further, I wonder about the "well established" "inverse correlation between education and religious belief." In many cities, the preferred and higher quality schools are run by religious orders. Most of the great colleges and universities were started by people motivated by their religious beliefs.

Inquiring minds (Wildkow) truly do want to know, and they don't dismiss searches for truth, regardless of whether the searches are conducted by the eductated or uneducated. I don't mean to offend with these responses, but I am just puzzled by the course of statements that leads to the finding that "the general global trend is away from theocracy rather than toward it." When I look around the world, I become more and more concerned about the growing number of theocracies in Asia and the Middle East. With all sincererity, I pray that we will not see a theocracy in the West, much less a one-world government run as a theocracy.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The UN is a start at some form of world government, but certain regional governments seemingly refuse to acknowledge their authority and collective wisdom....

Not that a theocracy would ever happen, but chances are excellent it would be neither Christian nor American. Will you sleep better now, Kow?

If God really were omnipotent, wouldn't we already have a theocracy?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 5 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]507309[/snapback]</div>
    Anything written into law can be written out of it. Our constitution has a built-in amendment process.

Tom

7. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For Christianity at least, the key is to accept the faith of your own free will, not to be forced into it through law or other coercion. Coerced faith is not legitmate, as you are not accepting it on your own. Writing the beliefs of Christianity into law is coercing belief.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Kow is trying to bait out Burritos for another religious grudge match. There should just be a forum for those two to yell at each other about religion.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 5 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]507374[/snapback]</div>
    One where we tie their left hands together, and give them each a blunt instrument for the other hand. It could be fun to watch (or not).

Tom

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 5 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]507375[/snapback]</div>

OR, maybe one by one the whole world will recall the Amish, who showed us a better way-- forgive your enemy instead of trying to kill them or have them killed. Would that still be called a theocracy if the whole world voluntarily turned Amish?

PA P

11. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Sep 5 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]507390[/snapback]</div>
    Yep.

We would do well to learn from the Amish; their way of life and philosophy have much that is attractive. But to me everything that is most valuable about their way of life and philosophy has nothing to do with religion, doesn't depend on religion, nor needs religion, but instead can be founded on sheer decency for decency's sake alone. What's so hard about being nice to other people for its own sake?

The Amish have rituals and restrictions that are 100% religious that I would personally find objectionable and arbitrary, so an Amish theocracy, while quite possibly an enormous improvement over much of what passes for "civilized" government now, would still be something I would resist, insofar as it compelled any kind of religious observances.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

12. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Religion is the opium of the people :)

Not sure if a religion will dominate or a theocracy based on a current religion but I am fan of movies and books that explore an almighty government system that is endorsed, proliferated and accepted as IF it was a religion (V for Vendetta, Children of Men, heck even C of Riddick)

I can see that with a mixture of a large corporation's interest thrown in :)

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Sep 5 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]507417[/snapback]</div>
    If I were God, I'd abolish all religions.

Tom

14. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 5 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]507443[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, well that was tried already. Problem was Noah was spared. should have drowned the lot, and kept the place wet instead of drying parts of it out. So far as is known, this is little evidence that marine life has ever worshipped the incorrect deity, either by accident or on purpose.

MB

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]507451[/snapback]</div>
    You might want to replace that stagger wing with a Lake Amphibian if we're going to keep the place wet.

Tom

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]507295[/snapback]</div>
    I never have been for that combination of power read some of my earlier posts. Separation of Church and State is of primary importance to me. The combination of Political/Civil power and Religion has always and most likely always will be a bad thing. I can not recall when that combination has ever, for a sustained period of time, been a positive force for society. It's not that the separate powers can't do good they can but combine the powers together into one organization and that spells trouble or some say Armageddon. At least some scholars of Daniel and Revelation believe that’s what it spells. Why some religious organizations want that to happen is beyond me because as soon as it does they can kiss they’re Spirituality goodbye.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 5 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]507321[/snapback]</div>
    Why would He create man with free will just to take it away from him through some divinely mandated organization? :blink:

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 5 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]507374[/snapback]</div>
    I would prefer burito stay completely out of my topic's thank you.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Sep 5 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]507417[/snapback]</div>
    With power comes corruption and with absolute power comes absolute corruption.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 5 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]507455[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: !LOL! :lol: ain't that the truth!

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 5 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]507463[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I was just going to accuse him of having some floats stashed in the hangar!

Wildkow

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, considering that nobody can agree on anything, a global theocracy seems quite impossible. Every religion that I can think of is splintered into camps. In most cases those camps disagree with each other and often quite violently. So I just don't see it happening... ever. What would be more likely is lots of theocracies that incite violence and destruction against each other. We've seen that before. Hopefully, we won't see it again.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ 2007 09 05 19:51) [snapback]507731[/snapback]</div>
    And aren't we seeing that now? :unsure:

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 5 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]507803[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, more or less. :( At least the Europeans are out of the business for the time being.