1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can a battery pack sit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StephenJ, Aug 22, 2024 at 11:26 PM.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm looking at a car that was wrecked that had a brand new battery installed. It's been sitting for around 18 months.

Would that be detrimental to the battery pack? If it was depleted down real low and I installed it in the car, would it charge it up just fine doing the manual charge (holding brake and gas)? If so, would it be better to use Dr Prius to run the fan on high and charge it for 5 minutes then shut it down then do it again....continue doing it incrementally with breaks so it doesn't get too hot?

Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just pulled the front cover off it just takes a second and put your meter on it It's going to be around 200 volts I bet depends I didn't even look to see where you're located but if it hasn't seriously frozen should be in good shape and it's already out so there's no reason you can't put a trickle charge on it 300 volts at about 2.4 amps it'll charge right up to about 240 50 60 volt somewhere in there and then it'll stop changing on the meter and you just disconnect the charger Don't let it heat up

StephenJ likes this.
  3. MAX2

MAX2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new battery is better than the old one.
    The battery will be charged from the hybrid system. There is no need to make unnecessary movements.
    You can take readings with the program and post the photo in Priuschat

StephenJ likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First is it brand new from Toyota or “new” reconditioned from one of a dozen companies including Dorman at the local auto supply? If not new oem, it’s used with some modules swapped out. Even if it has a shiney Dorman paint job. Worse yet if it’s a lithium or cylindrical NiMH aftermarket replacement.

If it is new oem or used and has discharged itself, which that is likely, it won’t start the engine. Without the engine you can’t force charge it.

Tom is anticipating that scenario and suggests advanced battery teardown and charging with a special charger you buy. Even then some modules may be bad requiring a total disassembly and individual module replacement which are only available used. Overall a risk. If you paid $500 it might be worth the risk.

#4 rjparker, Aug 23, 2024 at 12:47 AM
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2024 at 12:57 AM