1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can I drive on worn out CV joints?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IndyDoug, Sep 29, 2008.

1. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I have an annoying clicking sound coming from the front wheel. I think I need to replace the CV Joints. I'm a little short of cash. How long can I drive on worn out CV Joints? What damage can I do by delaying the CV joint replacement?

2005 Prius. 94k miles.

2. ron69424

ron69424 New Member

Sorry to hear about the clicking noise. Does it make the noise when driving straight ahead? Is it mostly when making tight turns to the right or left? Can you tell which side is making the noise?

It is unlikely that both sides are going bad at the same time. If one is clicking only in the turn you can probably keep driving with it for some time.

Toyota wants about $450 for one new drive shaft. I got a low milage used one for $160.

Good luck. Ron

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have you checked the boots and looked for thrown grease?

if you ignore a cv joint, eventually the thing will seize or just break apart. either way, you will be looking at a tow and potentially some other damage depending on the scenario. if it's the cv joint clicking, make it an urgent priority. there's no way to tell how long it'll last.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

man thats scary, if it was me, and i was a little short on cash, i probably would just leave it parked. and if i had to renew the registration, i'd file non operational until i had it fixed

drop the insurance policy for 4 months and leave it parked in the garage!

what does the extended warranty say about drive shafts and cv joints?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH just replaced both rear axles on his car. he drove about 300 miles on them after they started making noise, but only because he had to get home. after that, it was parked until the parts were replaced. some things we'll drive on, clicking cv joints aren't on that list.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words, not very damn long. It can wreck the car and kill people.

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're playing Russian Roulette every time you drive it.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They will last anywhere from minuets to years. There is really no way to know until you take it apart.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You will certainly know when it fails! the wheel basically falls off. Unfortunately this often seems to happen during high-speed travel.

10. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I work at an auto auction. A car that I drove had worn CV joints. I drove the car about a mile and they snapped the car was unable to drive. Get them repaired as soon as possible. You can pay now and it won't be much or you can pay later when your stuck and need a two. Take everyone's advice, get it done. FishHawk