1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can I drive with a P0A93 code?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Katya S, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Katya S

Katya S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days ago I got the red triangle of death on my 2005 Prius, and Autozone diagnosed me with the P0A93 error code. I drove about 3-4 miles to get home after the signal flashed. As I understand this is a pretty common inverter cooler pump issue so I'm not too stressed about that, my main question is mostly how safe is it to drive 15 miles to my mechanic's place? Assuming I don't take highways and drive carefully in the right lane. Or is the risk of it completely failing so big I should just tow it? Thank you!

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How warm is it where your at? Starting the drive when everything is cold you should be ok.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO and Katya S like this.
  3. Katya S

Katya S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's around 25C/78F and rainy for like an entire week! The warning appeared on a really hot day too. Maybe I'll try to drive very late/early.

4. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Should be fine. Don't use anything big powerwise like headlights AC or heater.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO and Katya S like this.
  5. Katya S

Katya S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your advice!!!

audiodave likes this.
  6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Be sure mechanic uses a genuine Toyota Inverter pump. Aftermarket pumps don't seem to last as long, so this will cost you more in the long run due to additional labor for a 2nd repair.

Skibob and Katya S like this.
  7. dannybjax

dannybjax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey everyone! My son is 90 minutes from home and I believe his inverter pump just went bad. Can he drive home on the interstate? What if he turns the radio and AC off? Quick response would be awesome!! Thanks everyone!

8. dannybjax

dannybjax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Based on my research I decided to tow the car (not to drive it) since overheating the inverter sounded like it could be an expensive fix. Tow truck was $525 so I rented a tow dolly from u-haul for $45 and drove my 2003 Suburban down there and brought him home. Now to replace the inverter pump! Thanks all!

audiodave likes this.