1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can I keep driving after getting P0A80 code (dying hybrid battery)? Options to buy cells?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nathandavidhall, Sep 1, 2020.

1. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey all, first post here, and I did try to search first before posting but couldn't find an ideal answer. I've just recently started getting the big red triangle+check engine (also occasionally the VSC and (!) but not always) lights, took to advance and confirmed the dying hybrid battery on my 2007 with 225k miles. That started maybe 50-60 miles ago and keeps performing like normal, except seemed a bit weak going up a long hill the last time I drove it a couple days ago. I noticed the battery has been discharging and recharging much quicker than it used to, and it doesn't help that I live literally on top of a mountain in Appalachia so it drains the battery on the way up and doesn't get to recharge until going back down, sometimes after sitting for several days.

I have a couple questions. First, about how many miles can I keep driving on the battery now that it's at this stage? As mentioned a lot of that driving is going up and down steep hills in the Appalachian mountains of East KY and East TN. If I keep driving in this state, will it eventually just crap out and leave me stranded on the side of the road, or in the middle if there's no shoulder? Second, is GreenBean my most affordable/convenient/reliable replacement option? Or is it still possible to buy individual cells and replace yourself with socket set and multimeter? I'm moderately comfortable with doing my own mechanic work, been a minute since I looked into doing this but I seem to remember it's not especially advanced. Last I looked I had a hard time finding any cells for sale, found one Amazon page but it was used cells and seems like these should be available as new. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

fiberoptx likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are two different things. Warning lights are most important. You can get an inexpensive device that will read the error codes and subcodes that were logged when those lights went on. Once we know the error codes we can give you options for repair at whichever price range is best for you. Here's buyer's guide for that device: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

As for the rapid fluctuation of charge levels in battery that you're seeing, it's normal for an older pack... It's a sign of degradation/loss of battery capacity and can be easily restored to normal by deep cycling the battery pack to lower and lower levels of discharge three times.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car is living on borrowed time. If you want a dependable car stay away from Green Bean or any other company selling repaired battery packs. They cannot afford to spend the time to properly test and balance the pack.
    The cheapest option, if you can find it, is the modules from a low mileage scrapped Prius.

The next lowest option for DIY is the kit of new cells from newpriusbatteries for $1600 delivered. @2k1Toaster here has designed a good kit that basically gives you a new battery.

The only other good option is to get a Toyota OEM pack. Dealer installed has a longer warranty.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #1) Have to know what the error codes and subcodes are saying. Until then it's entirely premature to blame the pack

#2) Have to find out the budget of the person asking for help and without knowing error codes the money spent on a replacement pack may prevent fixing other problems that are a greater priority.

#3) When you say car is "living on borrowed time" myself and others by choice, or of necessity, think borrowed time is way more sustainable than borrowing money to pay for a new or nearly new car.

tangerino likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was referring about continuing to drive it unrepaired with the error code.

fotomoto likes this.
  6. nathandavidhall

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the replies all. Apologies for not being clear enough, but I took the car to Advance Autoparts, used their code reader, and the only code listed was P0A80 "replace hybrid battery pack" (as stated in the subject). The red triangle/check engine lights have only been on for about 50-60 miles, so my main question is this: What actually happens when the hybrid battery pack dies? Does the car stop working in the middle of driving down the road? Or does it just perform poorly until one day it won't start?

My other main question is where can I buy individual cells if I decide to try removing and repairing the battery myself? The only option I can find with a google search is one on amazon (won't let me post hyperlinks due to being new to forum), which has a lot of bad reviews. Based on threads here and articles I've found this should in theory be possible, but not if I can't find quality replacement cells. GreenBean seems like a convenient and attractive option since they come to you, and while their Yelp page has some unsatisfied reviews, they seem to take a lot of time to respond to individual issues and want to be a responsible company. The newpriusbatteries option does seem best overall, although I'm in a very busy time of year with my startup (CBD hemp farming) and the fact that it costs $150 more than GreenBean and I have to do the work myself makes it a bit less desirable but probably the best overall if I plan to keep the car for long. Of course replacing individual cells would be even more time consuming, but Unfortunately my budget is quite tight at the moment and I really can't justify putting more than $1600 into a car I paid $4200 for and could probably get a similar replacement for $3-4k (could also get an electrician friend to help with finding the bad cells, replacing etc)

tangerino likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Basically, yes. "limp mode" MAY be available.
    And without the proper equipment and time to test & balance the pack you would end up with an undependable car.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The auto parts store only read the code that said their was a problem with the battery system. It didn't read the subcodes which will help you determine if it's an inexpensive repair related to corrosion or something more expensive. Toyota was very dishonest with the label they provide for P0A80. But the profit motive follows the path of least resistance and the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked.

Before you go any further down the rabbit hole, you need to use either a mini-VCI dongle for Toyota Techstream or more easy, use Dr. Prius App and an OBD2 Bluetooth reader to get the error subcodes so you know what the problem is. Here's buyer's guide for OBD2: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Once you know what the exact problem is we'll be able to advise you how wise it is to keep clearing the red triangle as you keep driving.

nathandavidhall likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are not comparing apples with apples.
    • Green Bean is a conglomerate of old used modules that may last a year or two longer. We have had reports of some not even lasting a month before problems came back. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    • newpriusbatteries is a kit of brand new (although a different design to OEM) modules that will easily last 8 years without problems
    Is that worth the extra $150. My opinion, yes, in spades. So save a bit longer, (they are back-ordered by two months so far so you have time). And carve out the time to do it, or pay someone to do it for you. Newpriusbatteries can connect you with an installer in your area.

I would whack-a-mole (as we call it) to buy yourself some time. @ericbecky can sell you good modules and is happy to talk through your options if you want to give him a call. Click on his profile to find his contact details. How well this might work is hard to tell, given the mountain driving which is known to hammer the HV battery pretty heavily.

#9 dolj, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Cheryl A

Cheryl A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I absolutely agree to the last letter of what’s said here but want to add...check the age of your 12v battery. There’s a code on it and mine was way overdue. It did some strange things like reving at a stoplight etc.
    Your Prius will not have regen braking once the code sets off the triangle. Living in mountains will probably if not surely wear on brakes. we installed the TOASTER pack and haven’t looked back. I didn’t want to pull the battery pack more than once as it’s a PIA so we did take somewhat a leap of faith. I only say that because “battery experts” and keyboard jockies in general has downplayed them for a number of theories.
    I am very happy with the performance as it gets consistent 48.5 to 50+ MPG.
    My only complaint is I have a Gen3 and the pack was targeted for the gen2. It fit and worked fine but the instructions were a bit confusing. This is especially important because one wrong connection and you have Chernobyl and they clearly warn you in the instructions. Now if that don’t give you sweaty palms....
    Overall it’s been about 14 months and all is well. I did have a situation that alarmed me a few months back where it drained completely down to the last bar. When I went to the map screen it didn’t show it was charging. I disconnected the 12v battery for 20 mins reconnected and all has been well since. I could’ve waited to see before doing that but didn’t want to walk home or get stranded. Good luck whichever way you go. Good to have all that behind us.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. nathandavidhall

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've ordered the first strongly recommended OBD2 adapter I saw on that site and should be here Saturday, I didn't even know subcodes were a thing! Would be great if it is something more minor.

I reckon I'm convinced to go with the more expensive newpriusbatteris pack (I'm assuming that's the same as TOASTER pack), but two month lead time is a bit rough as this has been my daily driver.. either that or sell this one for what little value it has and find a better used prius online, again.

I'll check the 12v battery out, I had to replace that on my gf's 05 prius last year when she started having weird issues, would be great if that's the only problem but just seems strange that it would clearly give a hybrid battery pack code if the problem is actually the 12v. Unfortunately it's $200 to replace it with no returns, down the drain if not the issue. I'll reach out to Eric Becky as well on modules, hopefully will know more once the OBD2 reader comes in

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are different wiring harnesses for Gen 3 vs Gen 2. @2k1Toaster has been good at shipping the correct harness if a mistake was made.

13. nathandavidhall

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I only finally got around to checking the codes on the Prius after almost two months of non stop work with our CBD hemp harvest. I also took a chance and drove the car about two hours from one farm to another. The Dr Prius app showed the below battery reading, which looks like module 4 is bad to me. The Torque (lite) app gave me the P0a80 code that I already knew about, as well as P3014 which seems to just more specifically say that module 4 is bad vs P0a80 that more generally says the hybrid battery is having problems.

When I followed the link in Torque for more info on P3014 it said something about "turbocharger wastegate regulating valve B - open circuit/short to ground" but that was in reference to Audis and VWs. I also found a thread here from a couple years ago where @PriusCamper said those codes can mean the EGR valve is getting gunked up and that whole system needs cleaning. Fwiw when I drove the car two hours the other day, it had a very, very hard time going up hills (was doing 16mph in the mountains of southwest VA at one point) but did fine on flat ground; hybrid battery was pretty much dead the whole time and seemed to have issues in shifting into the higher gears. Was the weakness in going up hills just because the hybrid battery was dead and the engine wasn't strong enough to do the work on its own?

At this point I really don't think I can justify putting $1600-$2500 into a 13 y/o car that's cosmetically far from perfect, so if it's possible I would really like to replace the dead module if that's the main problem (and possibly clean the EGR system if that's not too involved/expensive). Back to the the original question from the beginning of thread, can anyone help me A) find good replacement modules and whatever I need to properly charge/balance modules, B) learn how to do it safely without reading the entire 123 page thread on here, and C) figure out if I need to do work on the EGR system too? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. It appears the pack is failing. To insure a reliable car it is usually best to get the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster here. When installed that basically gives you a new pack for $1600 delivered. You can sell any usable modules from the old pack to lower the cost further. The link is in my signature.

Manually jus replacing a module or 2 usually results in a car that could fail at any time leaving you stranded.

15. nathandavidhall

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the input, though I've decided I can't justify putting $1600 into a 13 y/o car that's cosmetically far from perfect; seems like it'd be better to sell this one for parts and get a newer one used than spending money on expensive repairs. Hence my interest in replacing a module or two with proper charging/balancing, even though it may fail eventually I'd rather spend $100-200 and get several thousand more miles out of it than $1600+ and very likely have other things go wrong with it soon as well. So, any help with with finding replacement modules and good charging balancing equipment would be very appreciated!

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @nathandavidhall

Two things.

1. Your Gen 2 has no EGR system to worry about, so there's some minor relief for you.
    2. Everyone has their own degree of reliability they can live with. If you want a car that will likely go 10 years with no HV battery problems, the choice is easy..go with a new Toyota battery. The 2K1 battery will likely get you there also. If you're looking for an inexpensive fix that will get the car going again and you don't fear a bit of DIY, swap a module or two. Just do it with the understanding that swapping a module(s) with no real additional testing can sometimes be a very short term fix. There's always a bell curve. There are 'swap jobs' that have lasted days and some that have lasted years. Regardless, you can get phone apps like Hybrid Assistant that can do real time battery tests that provide a graph of all 14 blocks to show how they compare to each other, making it very easy to see a weak block that may become a problem down the road. If you have questions or just want to discuss, shoot me a PM and I'll provide contact info.

SFO likes this.
  17. ukiltmybrutha

ukiltmybrutha Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is a methodology of restoring to normal by deep cycling the battery pack to lower and lower levels of discharge three times? Thanks.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's two ways of going about it... One is doing the whole pack while it's in the car via a high voltage charger and discharger equipment from companies like: hybridautomotive.com, which have detailed instructions on their website.

The other version is to work on each of the 28 individual 8 volt modules by discharging each with a 12v 50w halogen bulb and then recharging with a bunch of these hobby chargers: iMAX B6 V2 Changer

The first discharge I go down into 5 volts then fully recharge... The second discharge I go down to 3v and recharge and the third time I go to under 1v and recharge. Also use lots of fans to keep things from heating up.

19. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a 2004 that drove with a failing battery pack for about 100k mi. before it completely died. When it dies completely, the car looses the "Ready" status on the dash and there is no engine power, thus rendering the car immovable.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Talked to a lady once who sent her daughter off to college in her old Gen1 Prius with the red triangle on and 4 years later her daughter graduated from college and the red triangle was still on and car still ran great. This is an extreme exception though.