1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did it take for you to get used to the split rear window?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by libmanj, Aug 20, 2012.

1. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Hi all.

First off, I just searched Prius Chat for threads with the words "rear window." I don't know if there is discussion of this issue using another term, but I was somewhat surprised how few threads the rear window has inspired.

I've been driving a 2009 Toyota Matrix. I love having a Toyota, and in general I really like the car. On the other hand, I don't like the 25mpg that I've been getting. I've been thinking of moving to a Prius, or maybe a C-Max.

In the end, the Liftback makes the most sense to me. It's the closest in size to the Matrix, and it's the only Prius with true fold-flat front seats, which I use to haul certain types of equipment. However, I can't seem to get used to the split window rear view. It REALLY bothers me as of now. As of now, I have rented the current Prius design two times, once each in the summers of 2011 and 2012 -- for about three days each -- and I have a recent test drive under my belt. I also recently test drove the C and the V, and although I have other grievances with those cars, I greatly appreciated the rear visibility out of a single-paned window. My other subtle concern was the last time I rented the Prius, I noticed my back getting a bit sore after driving for over two hours in the car. This may be easily adjusted with a lumbar adjustment pad or something to that effect though. (I neither want the Softex seats nor the price upgrade to the IV model, so an auto front seat unfortunately isn't an option).

So when you bought your Prius, did the rear view bother you? If so, did you get over it? How long did it take? I'm willing to accept the possibility that it takes a bit longer to get used to view. That just seems like a big risk for me, since I've already had a decent amount of experience with the car, and I've consistently been bothered by this unique design decision.

I really think I might appreciate the overall design of the Ford C-Max over any of the Prius models, so I may check that car out in about a month when they come out. Nevertheless, I'd certainly be more anxious with the reliability of a brand new Ford model than a tried-and-true Toyota.

Please excuse me and link me to another thread if this has been exhaustively discussed elsewhere. I just didn't find it when I searched for it.

2. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Took me a few days, but I actually really like it now as it blocks peoples headlights if they decide to hug my bumper. So once they get close their lights don't blind me any more.

priforme and lovemypriustoo like this.
  3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think the split rear window panhandles the Prius. Split windows is a lot better than the alternative that would be to only have the top window.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you never get used to it, you just learn to live with it.

hlunde likes this.
  5. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does cause the headlights of a car behind you to appear to 'blink" off and on. Because as speed changes the spoiler blocks then uncovers the lights. Once you get past that you're fine. I never pay any attention to it now.

6. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I do wonder if Toyota will figure out a way to make the car equally or even more aerodynamic while finding a way to use a single window pane in the 4th generation model. After all, for a long time, the only Prius had a split window. Now, Toyota has come out with two new Prius models in the last year and a half, and both models have single pane window. Is that an indication that they're moving in that direction?

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had the same initial reaction, and as much as I wanted to get the new Gen II right away, I was put off by the split rear window. Today, it doesn't even cross my mind. I find the visibility out the rear window to be just fine. I do think I actually enjoy/appreciate the darker lower section. Thankfully, it doesn't alter your view or distort what you see. You see more than you might out of other cars.

One way of dealing with it may be to raise the rear view mirror so that you see out of the top section only. Try this for a short while to see whether you feel differently about the view.
    To me, this would be a bigger concern. If you are not comfortable in your driving position, and you expect to spend many hours in the car, you should find a way to solve this before making the purchase.

Right now, I can't recall whether I believed the Gen II or Gen III seats were more comfortable to me. I know I noticed a change, but at this point, I'm very comfortable, 58,000+ miles into life in my 2010.
    Thank you for taking the time to do a search before posting. I wish more people would take this route!

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I should have added that the one thing which still bothers me about the car's design -- in terms of safe and comfortable use, not looks -- is the placement of the A pillar in combination with the rear-view mirror. I can't tell you how many times a car has suddenly "appeared" to my right (perpendicularly) at a four-way stop. I have learned to look very intently to make certain there isn't a car already there and ready to go before I go into the intersection.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. The annoying thing is the bar that separates the 2 rear windows is perfectly placed so as to block the car behind you... :(

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll let you know....so far I haven't "gotten used to it."
    The Prius isn't the worst car I've ever driven for rearward viability, a '71 Mach 1 and 94 Miata with the top up are a little bit worse...but it's pretty bad, especially when you also have to deal with an out sized A-pillar as well. The G3 has absolutely the worst visibility imaginable for a five-door car with as much glass as it has!

Don't get me wrong.....the Prius is fairly well executed, it's just that you have to make sacrifices if you're going to roll green at a given price point. Part of that means that you have to put up with some things....like the bifurcated rear-view for example.
    That's engineering for you.

I've gotten used to the "feel no evil" steering, the felt-thin carpet, and the rattles, but the rear-view still bugs me a little bit after 30,000 miles, since like many other drivers I like to use that those mirror thingys to monitor what's going on behind my car. ;) I don't let it bug me very much though, since there's not very much I can do about it---especially since "my" Prius is a company car.
    To be perfectly honest...if they were tow capable?
    I'd consider buying one for my personal use! :)

YMMV!

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It really bugged me, when I first drove one.

That's why I bought a "v."

12. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Rear window? Crap I just took out the rear view mirror and the split window went away.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bugs me as well, and I don't think I'll ever get used to it. It always blocks the following car's grill so I can't see what make and model the ID10T tailing me is driving. :mad:

14. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To me this is the single worst feature of my 2010 Prius, because it's dangerous. I've had pedestrians suddenly come into view in parking lots, and on winding roads I actually lean to the center of the vehicle to get a better view. It's also the "feature" that strikes me the most whenever I transfer to the Prius from any of the other cars I drive.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agree. You do just learn to live with it. After a few days I never gave it another thought.

I also agree with this as being the only thing positive about it.

16. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took me a few days and then you forget about it. In reality, if you don't count the bar, the combined rear windows are just as big (and maybe bigger) than a lot of cars.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Try looking out the rear window of one of these. :D

[​IMG]

18. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm in. When can I have it?

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And neither one matches the aerodynamics of the liftback, so both lose some MPG to style.

20. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    You can call it style. I'll call it safety. I think it's important for safety to clearly see cars behind you, minus obstruction. Yes, I understand the point about aerodynamics, and that the Liftback has the lowest drag coefficient of the three models.