1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did it take for you to get your 5thGEN Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by David Chislett, Sep 20, 2023.

1. David Chislett

David Chislett New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hey All,

Just curious how long it took for you all to receive your Prius? Maybe post which location you ordered, when you ordered and actual arrival date:

Here's mine:

Ordered from Toyota Halifax, NS
    Ordered October 2022 and told 1 year wait approx
    Still not received as of Sept 2023

Dealer says he wont look into it much until it hits the 1 year mark, I'm hoping this doesn't lead into the winter, the closer I get to a year the more antsy I get lol In Canada preference goes to Quebec and British Columbia due to mandates, which leaves longer lead times for us folk in the rest of Canada :(

otatrant and Tamadrummer88 like this.
  2. Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We waited a couple of weeks. We called the dealer and saw a unit inbound but was not reserved. Turns out the person pulled out and we called before the car went back into the dealer pool for another salesperson to snag for their customer.

David Chislett likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here in The Boston area, no one has one, never seen one. None coming in on the dealer websites, I can’t imagine how long it will take

4. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Mine was in route via ship to the port then dealer when I came in and put down my deposit on Aug. 12th....picked it up last Thursday on Sept. 14th...was told it would be mid-Sept; they weren't kidding!!

David Chislett and Tamadrummer88 like this.
  5. Edward Morgan

Edward Morgan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Deposit put down Sept. 2022 (1st on waiting list at dealer)
    Production began late Dec early Jan
    Dealer told me the car (Black LE) would be at the dealer by late March.
    QC Hold middle of March
    Car arrived middle May with serious paint damage (rail dust damage from sitting at the port for so long IMO) and I told the dealer I did not want that car.
    End of May I was offered a XLE AWD which I turned down.
    Middle of June I was allocated a different car (red LE).
    Middle of July I was told the car has left Portland and the ETA is 7/27/2023.
    Replacement red LE arrived in Portland, OR from Japan on June 30th. The car left Portland by train 7/13/2023 and arrived at BNSF Railway - Logistics Park Chicago 7/22/2023. The car was moved to different location in Chicago on 7/28/2023. Then the car left Chicago on 7/31/2023 and arrived at my dealer that evening. The dealer called the morning of 8/1/2023 and said the car would be ready to be picked up the next morning 8/2/2023. I went the next morning and looked the car over and found minor paint damage on the front end. Dealer repaired the car that day and I bought the car the following morning 8/3/2023 (under MSRP). (330 days after I put down my deposit and 214 days after start of production.)

bisco likes this.
  6. David Chislett

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Wow! That doesn't sound like a fun experience... but thanks for sharing.... now ill be sure to check mine over very well before I purchase it. Glad you got it sorted out in the end!

7. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Approximately 8 months to get our Prius Prime.

Placed order mid-january 2023, picked it up 2nd week of September 2023.

It's what the dealer predicted, and it worked out fine in terms of budgeting, etc.

otatrant and David Chislett like this.
  8. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I didn't order one but had my name on quite a few "lists", which in hindsight is bogus. Dealers just wanted a ready list of interested buyers to call when cars were allocated. They all said they could not be factory ordered; that it was based on their allocation from the factory. That being said, I checked local inventories a couple times a day and when a new one in the right color showed up, I would inquire thru the dealer's website. I put a deposit down that reserved an incoming Cutting Edge Prime XSE. I picked it up two weeks later. Whole process took five weeks from when I first started looking to to when I picked it up on August 2. From reading stories like yours and others here, I consider myself fortunate I was able to purchase one so quickly. To this day, I still get calls/texts from dealers about Prius models coming in.

otatrant and douglasjre like this.
  9. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I put joined the waiting list at a large dealer in Ontario in November 2022. Last month I asked for an update and I was told I'm #30 on the list for the Prime and the first person on the list ordered in April 2022. They confirmed I would be getting a 2024 model. I'm not expecting to see anything until next year sometime.

It's probably going to depend a lot on the dealer and what their allocation is/who else is on the wait list. Canada is definitely getting significantly less allocation than the US and wait lists are long due to high demand. If you're lucky and shop around you might be able to grab an incoming model that's unspoken for.

10. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Beamsley- that's a VERY long time to wait for a Prius Prime! Especially after they tell you you're the first to be on the list! Yikes! Hang in there!

beamsley likes this.
  11. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

I ordered in January from a stealership and realized in June it was a mistake to pay them a markup and receive nothing, so I switched to a dealership offering MSRP in June and have been allocated something that SHOULD come in a few weeks………….

it is honestly not that hard to fine A prius, provided you are flexible about color, trim, etc. But if you want something specific and wont settle, forget it. The one im allocated is my third choice color, second choice interior, and second/third choice trim…

#11 priusmouse, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  12. Tooly

Tooly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    3 months to get my Prime

otatrant likes this.
  13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A little under two months here in Europe - ordered second half of July, estimated end of September, delivered this week.

Was dependent on ordering one of the mid-trim cars already on the boat; estimated delivery was December otherwise.

I think some of that boatload is still available in Finland, as the website says 'fast delivery' now.

otatrant likes this.
  14. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Saw an ad a salesman posted on No markup Toyota Facebook page on Aug 21 for an incoming Supersonic Red XSE prime loaded with all the features and accessories I wanted @ MSRP ($599 dealer fee). We communicated, I could not believe there was not already a deposit on it so I immediately put down $1000 deposit and was told mid September arrival. They also gave me a fair trade in value sight unseen but I provided tons of quality pictures. I did my research on the dealership and they are one of the top rated in the region, and the salesman had a great reputation with good reviews.

It came in on Sept 12th, so like 3 week later, and I picked her up on Sept 15th no issues easy peasey.

Funny thing was they had an identical XSE in black in stock on the lot back when I put the deposit on mine that I could have got back then but opted to wait (really wanted Supersonic). I called tons of dealers before finding this one out of the blue and that was the first dealer that actually physically had one on the lot available and had another one incoming very soon. As it turns out the day I picked up my red one, I got there very early and the black one was still there, but when I came back from breakfast to sign the paperwork on my car it was sold. Crazy how it sat there for over three weeks at MSRP and no one snagged it until the day I went up there to pick up mine.

I was more than happy to drive 250+ miles each way to get it at MSRP with no BS. My local Toyota dealer where I bought a bunch of Toyotas in the past ruined a longtime relationship as they would not budge from a $2500 markup on an incoming limited Prius. Funny how that works.

GeoJ and otatrant like this.
  15. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Happened to see the exact configuration I was looking for on Toyota's inventory search a day after it was allocated to a dealership 200 miles from me. I believe that was about April 4. I contacted them and found out they were an MSRP dealership. Put down a $500 deposit later that day. The car arrived at the dealer a couple days before Memorial Day weekend(May 25ish). I was trading in two vehicles, so it took me about a week and a half to line up a second driver(this was right around a three-day holiday).

So about a month of searching dealer sites, and about seven weeks from deposit until it was ready to be picked up. I count myself as one of the luckier new owners on this website as I got exactly what I wanted at MSRP by the first week of June.

16. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have been looking at getting a car for about 6 months so doing a lot of reading making lists of models at different price points. 2023 Prius Prime was added to qualifying models for California Clean Air Vehicle rebate in June 2023. Was considering a plug in hybrid or electric car than noticed at the end of August that California Clean Air Rebate was not going to guarantee rebates for purchases made after September 5, 2023.

Once I decided on a budget and a model it took me about a week to purchase my Prius. Started searching toyota web site for inventory, as well as truecar and calling dealers in California on Saturday August 26. The next day I contacted the dealer with the car I would purchase and made refundable deposit. Flew about an hour to pick up car on August 31. Drove back same day about 200 miles.

HacksawMark likes this.
  17. David Chislett

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks everyone! A lot of good info in here and a lot of lucky people that got their Prius faster then me... I'm jealous haha spoke to the salesman today, he says I am very close but at this rate its looking into Winter :( He said its an approx. 2 month wait from the time i'm notified that its being built).

So I guess its time to sit back and wait un-patiently lol

18. Jim Stoll

Jim Stoll Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Anybody know what the "Processing" step/date represents? The dealer sent me a screen shot of some Toyota or dealer system that showed a "Vessel Arrive" date of 9/16, and a "Processing" date of 9/24. (It seems the steps following "Processing" are "Rail Depart", "Rail Arrive", "On Truck for Delivery", and "Arrival at Dealership", all of which had no dates yet as of the time they sent the screen shot.) Bottom line, today (Sunday) was 9/24, so wondering if I should bug the Dealer for an update tomorrow (Monday), or just let them be for a few more days. :)

19. srwax

srwax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I contacted the dealer on Apirl to be on the list.
    They were able to let me reserve the red limited at the end of August. And I was able to pick it up mid Sep.
    Order from Autonation Toyota Las vegas.

20. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Vessel Arrive: The car carrier arrived at the port and started unloading.
    Processing: The car is checked in at the port facility and scheduled to be inspected for defects and port accessories installed. (Mud guards, door edge protectors, body side moldings, floor mats, etc.)
    Rail Depart: The car has been loaded on a train car and has started its journey.
    everything else should be self explanatory

If you don't want to bother your dealer, just find your car on Toyota's Search Inventory or enter its VIN into toyota-tracker.com. If it's listed as Transit or Freight without a date range attached, then it's still in processing at the port. If it has a delivery date range attached, then it's cleared processing and on its way.

Just note that the date range might get changed if there are delays in rail or truck transit. Mine got pushed back almost two weeks from the first time it got a date. I assume there wasn't a truck available when the car got off the train, so it had to wait several days for a truck/driver. But that's just a guess.