1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did the dealer have your car for ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shar1950, Nov 7, 2008.

1. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 prius with 37 K/lm on it, going from Jasper to Calgary, last week. About half ways the service engine light starts to flash and the car started to idler roughly. I had it towed to the dealer in Edmonton, where they worked on it for 5 hours. They found out that one of the cylinders was hydraulicing and that the fuel to that cyl is eradic. They needed the car longer, but I needed to be in Calgary the next morning to fly to the US. The service manger arranged to have the car worked on at the CALGARY dealership and I drove it to there. I left it there on friday moring and came back there on the following Wednesday afternoon. The engine was apart, waiting for parts. The #2 cylinder was the problem,it has only 70 psi compression, all other ok. they have no date when I will get my car back. Has anyone else had their car with a major engine problem and how long did it take ???

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting - this is one of the very few times that I have seen a Prius gasoline engine problem of this magnitude. Did the service writer tell you the cause of the low cylinder compression: valves, a leaky piston ring, a bad head gasket, or ?

Is your dealer able to get parts from a North American warehouse or are they waiting to get parts shipped in from Japan? Perhaps the reason for the delay is that the latter is the case.

How frequently did you have the engine oil changed? 37K km is pretty low mileage, around 22K miles.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    according to my warranty booklet, if they can't fix it in 30 days, you can take your car anywhere, have the work done, and then bring the bills into a toyota dealer for later reimbursement, heh

the basic warranty has transportation assistance too. when you pick up the car give them
    your bills for the rental car

for basic warranty transportation assistance you need to have any of the following

1)the warranty repairs will take longer then one day to complete
    2) the warrantable condition requires extensive diagnosis
    3) the parts needed for the warranty repairs are not readily available and your vehicle
    is inoperative or unsafe to drive.

the policy does not cover if the repairs will take 1 day, but the car must be kept overnight
    because of a dealer or owner scheduling conflict.

if they have it for more then 1 day, i would call them up and tell them you want your
    transportation assistance.

this is for the basic warranty.

the extended warranty platinum plan has its own transportation assistance that adds on to this
    one

the extended warranty will cover your hotel room and other expenses of $100 a day for 5 days, i think, but you have to be 150 miles away from home..

the basic warranty should cover the rental car, at least

4. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the oil at about 2000 km, I wanted to flush the engine of any junk that might have been in there. After this the dealer,where I bought the car ,did the last 3 oil changes. I used synethic 20 wt oil .I pay close attention to the maintance of this car.
    I don't think they know what caused the problem,that is why they have allready replace the coil, wires, plugs and they have also replaced the head gasket too. Oh...I should mention that the service guy said that there were wrong plugs installed in the car,that's pretty funny,cause the car has been in for 3 maint service allready and no-one notes this before... All they have told me is that there is a problem with # 2 cylinder. They must be getting parts from Canada,because they only had to wait 1 day.
    Now getting to this basic warranty, I have not even read any thing there, the manual is still in the car at the dealership. Can some-one let me know about this, I did not get any extended warranty ?

They have had my car from Oct 31/08 at 5:30 am to date. I taxied from the air port to the dealer on Nov 5/08, they had no loaner car for me at all, they were all spoken for. I waited 3 hours there,in the service department,waiting for some-one to give my wife and myself ,a ride to the bus depot. The bus ride was 8 hours from Calgary to my home town and cost us just over $ 200,not including the meals.
    I have now left 2 messages on the service adviser's machine,I just would like to know what's happening, and he has not called back. I just don't know what I can really do,being 600 km away ?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm assuming that you are the first owner of this Prius since you say you changed the oil at 2K km. It is very strange to hear that wrong plugs were installed, which implies a factory production issue. It wouldn't surprise me that this was not previously noticed when the car was in for routine service, since the spark igniters and spark plugs normally would be left undisturbed until 120K miles (or 200K km) had been logged.

Usually when low compression is diagnosed, one test is to inject some engine oil into the problem cylinder to see whether compression improves. If yes, then this implies that the piston or piston rings are the problem. If no, then this implies that the head gasket or valves/valve seats are the problem.

When the head is removed, the valves can be inspected to see whether any of the four valves for the cylinder are burnt or leaking, and the cylinder head and cylinder block can be inspected for cracking or other defects. Perhaps when you reach the service adviser you can probe into these issues and find out whats going on.

Regarding rigormortis' discussion about transportation assistance, since you are in Canada this may or may not apply. Perhaps another Canadian member with a 2007 can research the availability of this program by referring to their warranty booklet.

Good luck.

6. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello canadian prius owners....anyone use their warrany,when car was in dealership for more than 1 week ? Is the canadian and USA warrany differant ????

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think that Toyota Canada offers free rental cars during warranty service; see the following website and look up the owner's manual supplement for your model year.
    TOYOTA CANADA : Service

8. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick....I read through all of the 2007 warranty section. There is no mention of any free car rental for canadian . I'll just have to phone toyota 1-888- number.

9. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I found out today that they are going to replace the short block on the engine, what the heck is that ? And they need to have the head machined, why ?? They still don't know what happened.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update, the short block consists of an assembled aluminum engine block, crankshaft, crankshaft bearings, oil pump, and pistons. The head and other auxiliary parts apparently will be installed on the short block.

I assume that the original block must have had a crack affecting cyl. 2, usually that would be the reason for replacing it. Usually the head surface has to be machined due to warpage when the engine overheats. Did this happen to your car?

11. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so, the scanguage never,never got over 88`C. They also said something about replacing my water pump too. I think I just must have ended up with one of those lemons that people sometimes talk about.
    So the short block comes fully assemled with all new parts and the dealership just put in together ?

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    did they actually take the engine apart to decide this? did they do cylinder leak down tests? are they sure it's not in the head, valves, or timing chain? if there were a problem in the block, there would be low power in the cylinder but it would still be firing. the cel flashing says overheated catalyst- can be caused by rich mixture or misfire shooting fuel directly into the exhaust and overheating cat.

the blinky cel is what has DH wondering.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Shar: The Dealership in Jasper made a serious mistake. He found the engine was hydrauliking and fuel to that cylinder was erratic?????? At that point the car should not have been driven AND the service manager should have had the car towed as well as providing transportation. More damage was sustained by driving to Calgary. Any and all expenses should be reimbusable to you , make sure you get it, you are entitled to it. If after all normal channels are expended you may have to hire a lawer. It should not go that far. The laws within the UK, US and Canada are basically the same. Its all English law. Hopefully Toyota will treat you right.

14. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I finally got my baby back and it's running great,at - 16 to -35 C, we are getting 6.6/100 km for the last 2 weeks.
    Thanks to all the people that answered some of my dumb questions, those answers helped me to better handle the Toyota Dealership in Calgary and Toyota Canada. I was able to convince the dealership to pay for cost tranporation and Toyota Canada will look after the car rental. This was the cost out of my poc

Now, about this new short block they put in,would it come with all new cylinders,valves and all new gaskets ? Would it come complete,just have to drop it in ? I should change that oil out,pretty soon,go to 0-20 synetic then ???

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad that your car is back in service.

The short block would come with new piston rings and gaskets. The block might be new or remanufactured. If the latter then the block itself, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons and bearings may be reused or new. However in either case the short block is supposed to meet all production specs and tolerances and be the equivalent of new.

Since your original head was reused, the valves from that head also would be reused and not new. When the short block is taken out of the shipping crate, it would be necessary to remove the head and timing chain from the old block and bolt those parts to the new block. Other ancillary parts like the knock sensor, crankshaft pulley, serpentine drive belt, water pump etc also would be moved from the old block to the new.

5W-30 is the Toyota-recommended oil viscosity, bot 0W-20 in your area especially in the winter should be fine.

16. shar1950

shar1950 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first got the car ,back in 2007, changed the oil out at 3000 km,to get junk out engine. How long should I wait to change the oil this time ? Will go to the 0w-20 synetic.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3K km or 2K miles is OK for the first oil change if you are concerned about getting rid of metal debris from the production and assembly process. If you can DIY the oil change, then you can look at the drained oil and see what metal particles are within.