1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long does it take?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unheardthreat, Feb 17, 2006.

1. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

i read here that in order to achieve high fuel economy, you have to let the ice warm up. i live in the los angeles area and i was wondering how long in this weather would it take to warm up the car. how long as in.. miles driven, length of time driving, or how hot it is outside. i often take long trips on weekends, but shorter ones on weekdays, so i wondered how much itll effect things if i get the car, thanks.

2. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I do not have the technical answers for you. I just got my 2006 Prius a week ago. I live in San Diego and the engine seems to be warmed up fairly early on in most drives I take. To go anywhere, I drive up a short, somewhat steep hill and stop at a stop sign at the top before turning onto a major road. The ICE only shuts off there if I have already driven somewhere recently. By contrast, if I have to stop at the second or third light down the major road (.5 and 1 mile away, respectively, downhill), the ICE often does shut off even on the first drive of the day in the morning. I believe I read here that the ICE only shuts off at stops once it is warmed up, but I could be mistaken.

I know there are tons of topics that address fuel efficiency elsewhere in PC. Maybe try a search?

Best Wishes!

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I doubt you have to wait long for the ICE to "warm up" in sunny, funny CA. Unless the temps are below freezing, a block or two should do it.

This morning, on the drive to work, it was -34 C. Last winter I just about froze my fingers off, the Prius is very efficient, so very cold blooded. No heat at all -30 C or colder.

This winter I have a winter front that blocks the lower grille and upper slits, and it makes all the difference. I actually get HEAT out of the vents now, and the ICE will actually shut down at red lights.

My fuel economy is better too. Last winter, I was lucky to get 9.8 l/100km in city driving. Maybe it's a combination of winter front and Mobil 1 0W-20, but this winter in the same temps I'm averaging 7 l/100km.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in Los Alamitos and park my Prius in a subterranean parking structure below our condo complex, so it's warmer in there than it would be if I parked it in the parking lot or along the street. Not that temps outside are freezing, but it has gotten into the low 40's outside these last few nights. I find it takes maybe a block or 2 tops before my car is fully 'warmed up' and starts getting higher mpgs than when first starting out.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I live in eastern Pennsylvania. I commute on back roads.

In the summer, the first 5-minute bar on the consumption screen usually ends up being about 35 MPG. All subsequent 5-minute bars are between 50 MPG and 70 MPG. So, I would assume it takes some time less than 5 minutes during my commute in the summer time, during which I've probably gone about 2 or 3 miles.

In the Winter, the first 5-minute bar on the consumption screen is usually around 25 MPG and the second 5-minute bar is usually around 35-40 MPG. All subsequent 5-minute bars are around beween 45 and 60 MPG. During that first 10 minutes, I've probably traveled 5 to 7 miles.