1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long does the hybrid battery hold a charge

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lauren Vandergrift, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Lauren Vandergrift

Lauren Vandergrift New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased a 2007 Prius from an independent dealer. The hybrid battery is supposed to be new. However if I sit idle with my air-conditioning on the battery loses charge very fast. Is this normal??

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a Gen 2 Prius, when it was relatively new, I did a test and it lasted 8 mins with the climate control and A/C compressor running.

Skibob likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lauren,

This is an extremely difficult question to provide an accurate answer. It will vary greatly, depending on outside air temperature, inside temperature setting, auto or manual fan speed and the initial state of charge of the HV battery. I've done a significant amount of testing HV batteries using the AC system as the load. The AC compressor can draw anywhere from 2 amps to 16 amps. That makes a HUGE difference in how long the battery will last before the engine starts in order to recharge it.

Imagine it like a gallon jug of milk. How long will it have milk in it if you poke a hole in the bottom with a straight pin? What if you drilled a 1 inch hole in the bottom?

Seeing that you're in Tampa, I would imagine you would fall near the top of the range for current draw.

Lauren Vandergrift likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    humidity also plays a role.

one question you should ask the dealer, just for future knowledge:

where did the 'new' battery come from? toyota oem, aftermarket, or remanufactured? there is a huge difference in price and quality.

all the best!(y)

Lauren Vandergrift likes this.