1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long for pink slip in CA?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tedb, Mar 19, 2006.

1. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not really a Prius question, but with so many new owners I am hoping someone can help me. I have ordered vanity plates n California which have now arrived. In order to pick them up I need to present my registration (pink slip) and old license plates. I cannot seem to find my registration and I am not altogether positive I actually received it. I would appreciate it if those of you who have recently purchased a new vehicle (ours was 11/13/05) let me know how long it took to get your pink slips -- and whether it came in the same package as the license plates.

Thanks.

Ted

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't remember having to present registration. I just gave them the old plates with the registration stickers. The stickers prove you've registered the car. And the registration paperwork should be kept in the car at all times, so you should find that asap.

You'll only have a pink slip if you own the car free and clear. If you have a bank loan, you won't get that until the car is paid off. And it's not "pink". It's rainbow colored. At least it was on my last two cars.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My pink slip just arrived yesterday, one month after purchase.

As far as registration - they shouldn't have let you drive off the lot without the temp reg taped to the inside of the windshield.

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Registration and Pink Slips are different things in California, to get your registration just go to the DMV and ask for a duplicate copy, I think the fee is $10 or $15 for it and you get it right there on the spot, the Pink Slip just shows that you own the car and don't owe the bank anything.

5. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all who responded and cleared up the confusion in my mind between registration and "pink slip." I do have the registration and, as required, keep it in the car.

The Prius was the first car I ever financed and now I understand why I do not have the pink slip/title document in hand.

Ted

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK... so what do your fancy new plates say?

7. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BLU BXR

My last name is Boxer and the car is, I suppose its obvious, Blue. Actually, being a UCLA grad, I prefer to think of it as Bruin Blue. And its a Yosemite plate and the Prius seems a natural to associate with that place.

Thanks for asking.

p.s. your web page is very impressive. I do too much driving to have ever felt comfortable with an ev (car turned 8800 miles today, purchased on 11/13/05) but I admire those who went out and did it.