1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long is long time -- SmartKey disable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 17, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was searching through the owner book to find out how to turn out the maint. light (never can find it easily) and came across some interesting info about the SKS.

Something along the line of "if you will not use the car for a long time, disable the SKS."

Well, of course, how long is a long time. Hubby thinks five minutes is a long time :censored:

So, I am thinking like a week???

Any concensus?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I turn mine off every time I come home, and turn it on at the next trip, whenever that may be. There is no need to have SKS turned on while in the car port. It saves a little bit of drain on the 12V battery. If the car is close enough to the house that the fob could still be communicating with the car, then it is a very good idea to turn it off, to save both batteries.

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Most reported problems seem to have been those who left the car for a couple of weeks, like at an airport. I would turn mine off if it was going to sit for a week. But alas, it doesn't sit even for a day so I never turn it off. I love being able to get in and just push Start. There may be a small drain on both batteries but driving daily keeps the 12v up. Though I concede I may have to change the fob battery more often than those who turn it off daily.