1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long till we have the Sky Car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jmann, Feb 18, 2006.

?
  1. 0-5 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-10 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 11-25 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 26-40 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 41-55 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 56+ years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.moller.com/centerimage/main1-skycar.gif

When I was a kid and this sky car was on TV, I though it was a joke. It was still concept at that time, but aparently it is now ready for unteathered testing. Do you think it has a future

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I think it has a future when technology can accomplish most of the "flying". Currently, it is too difficult for most people to simply get "in" and operate a vehicle through space like an aircraft. It takes about 60-100 hours to get a simple pilot's license to operate in nice weather only, at that. So either we all get trained as pilots, or technology takes meets us more than half way...

I pegged 11-25 years, for as a REAL ROUGH estimate, due to something about microprocessor power doubling every X amount of time :lol: . I think within that timeframe, the technology will be readily available for such endeavors...

3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the sky car is supposed to do all the flying. but in any case, the controls are suppose to be supurb.

about two years ago, I had the chance to fly a V-22 (the new air force version of the Osprey) before it was actually in production. This was in a sumulator at the air force base, but flying the simulator is the same as flying the real thing! it was really cool. Back on topic... the thing was so easy to fly! you just point the stick where you want to go, and the plane dose it. It was really impressive what could be done with controlls.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It'll never fly the FAA will killfile it. Just look how long it took them to get the "Sport Pilot" certificate out. So I voted 56+ years.

Wildkow

5. tootallrls

tootallrls I have Prius NV

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Controlling traffic in three dimensions would be too difficult, and I, for one, will never trust totally automated vehicles.

Of course, we do have flying cars right now. They're called airplanes. Are they supposed to be totally different when you paint a futuristic-looking picture of them? I suppose this one is supposed to be vertical takeoff & landing, to avoid the need of a long runway at every house, but we have those also: they're called helicopters. And for military use there's the Harrier.

But the problem comes when you try to assert that every household is going to have one (or two) with associated landing places as common as parking spaces. Jet exhaust is HOT and helicopter rotors are big, so unless you are going to make believe that you have a totally new and as-yet unimagined propulsion system, you need BIG areas to land and take off. And real estate ain't getting any cheaper.

The idea of everyone flying instead of driving is a pipe dream. But if you have enough money you can fly now. And if you are REALLY rich you can have your own helicopter and helipad now. No need for that thing in jmann's picture. (And by the way, that thing looks like it only seats two people and no room for cargo. Honda Insight anyone?)

Oh, and a P.S.: Fuel ain't getting any cheaper either. I wonder how many gallons to the mile a vertical takeoff jet car will burn. And how about parking spaces downtown? That thing looks big, and it only seems to seat two. These futurists never seem to think about practical stuff like where are you going to land and park it.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used to be a private pilot but gave up on it as an exotically expensive hobby. Though recently my contract employer has been dropping hints to offer a bonus to fly a light turboprop, so perhaps I could get back into it.

That's the key: somebody else has to pay for the cost per hour of operation. It's enormous!

Hasn't Moller been kicking this idea around for a long time? Seems farfetched at this point.

I'm not sure if simply by translating vehicular traffic from flat 2-dimensional roads to 3-dimensional airspace will actually solve any congestion problems. Major hubs are experiencing greater congestion now, add in thousands and eventually millions of personal aircraft won't help any.

I fully trust automated systems, as I design a lot of them for industrial and some aviation clients. Certification to 6-nines reliability, CMM 6, etc, can be achieved but is very expensive.

Modern airliners are heavily automated already, not just the fly-by-wire ones either: TCAS, EGPWS, FADEC, etc.

8. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course, the hard part being a pilot isn't when everything is working normally, it's when something ISN'T working like it's supposed to, and why a pilot gets paid more than a bus driver.

Hours and hours of boredom, with occasional moments of sheer terror.

9. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

I see it as a start, but not any where near the design it needs to be.
    Sky cars have been sucessful. There was a great one in the 50's.
    But it had to have more LIFT area. And, this skycar current design
    would be HIGH management. Not for the faint of heart, even with
    computer control. Remember, with enough speed you can fly
    a locomotive. But who would want a design requiring that much speed
    to stay aloft? And, what about all engines out? Drop like a rock.
    Stick with a Cessna 150...vintage, land it on any road...safe.
    When I was getting my pilots license, you could buy a great one
    for 20,000. I think the technology hit a peak with that design
    if you're talking commuter. Of course, you need to be a pilot.
    Never happen for the general public, until it's complete computer
    control. I mean by that. You go out, get in, read your paper while
    Microsoft pilots the plane from take off to landing. 50 years away.
    Rod
    Rod

10. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

EEK!! :eek: :blink: Microsoft flying?!? Count me out!! :eek:
    (How often do you think you'd have to reboot it during flight? :blink: )

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rod:

Um, trust a Microsoft RTOS?? You're joking, right?

I'll stick with RTOS's that I learned to program on, such as the Honeywell RTOS that is used on current fly-by-wire airliners.

jay

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

last time I saw a price being bandied about for this thing it was in the $200,000 range. So unless I win the Lotto this isn't really even on the back burner it just fell right off the stove.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Yeah, for that kind of money, no way.

If you strike gold with the 6/49 or Super 7, seriously consider a Piper Meridian or some other single-engine turboprop. You can hand fly them when in the mood, or let the automation do it's thing and enjoy the view.

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/meridian/default.asp

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/meridian/bigpics/Pic6.htm

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/meridian/bigpics/Pic8.htm

Or, for a fraction of the price, fly First Class on Cathay Pacific. They wait on you hand and foot.

jay

14. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, I just can't WAIT for all those idiots on the road to become pilots.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ready for unteathered testing. I have some info for you. It has been in that same state of readiness for about 20 years now... and counting. If it is "ready" why is it not tested, one wonders?

This machine and this individual are right here in my back yard. The machine is beautiful to behold ... but this isn't happening any more today than it was happening 20 years ago. My money is on never. Not for this one.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hence the need for full automation. Road rage is bad enough. Can you imagine Air Rage? Some drunk inbred redneck cutting off a 747?? Pass

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Jayman if I win either one I'm buying a Maule Turbine Lunar Rocket. Google that! Oh ya on Whipline anphyb's

19. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i believe this version stole the idea from the version i had posted.