1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long to get your initial registration/plates?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MikeSF, May 15, 2006.

1. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been sitting here for a month now without word of my registration at all. Now I know the DMV isn't exactly known for speed but how long is the norm? (i've never had an honest to god brand new car so I don't know).

I'm curious because I want to get the ball rolling for my carpool stickers (which I've heard equally icky stuff about). Is there a way to check on my registration? Or is that pointless?

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I'd check with your dealer first.

3. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 15 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]256024[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you're already aware that if your car is registered in the San Francisco Bay Area you cannot apply for the California Clean Air Vehicle stickers until you have a hybrid-account FasTrak transponder, whether you ever cross the bridges or not. You will need to enclose the original FasTrak paperwork with your stickers application. And you can apply for that transponder the minute you've bought your car.

This very long thread contains lots of observations from priuschat members about discovering your plate number and applying for the Clean Air Vehicle stickers. It's up to 15 pages now, so maybe just read the last 5 pages or so.

4. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ May 15 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]256024[/snapback]</div>
    You can call DMV to get the license plate number. Number on this thread.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18613

My experience with DMV was very positive when calling.

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ May 15 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]256095[/snapback]</div>

Actually this may or may not work. The DMV phone line had no record of my vehicle or plates for over a month past when I had the dealer run a DMV report and get me my plate number.

The BEST way to get your plate number is to go back to your dealership and convince them to run a DMV report. The day your plates are assigned they show up on that system...well before you can find them out by calling the DMV.

I received my HOV stickers 2 weeks before I received my actual plates!

6. j24816

j24816 New Member

The BEST way to get your plate number is to go back to your dealership and convince them to run a DMV report.

Agree.

The DMV phone line had no record of my vehicle or plates for over a month past when I had the dealer run a DMV report and get me my plate number.

Guess I was fortunate with getting plate info from DMV. Actually I received my plates 4.5 weeks after buying car. Still waiting for stickers.

7. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(highroute @ May 15 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]256044[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I'm aware, I have an older FasTrak transponder and from what I understand I can just go down to the FasTrak place and swap out my transponder, BUT I need the registration to do that since it says that the address on the account must match that of the registration. I have heard that I can get it done with paperwork that the dealer sticks inside your window (to drive without plates), but having dealt with them before I'm more than sure there not smart enough to put two and two together and make things work for me. So I figured I'd just wait until my plates arrived then I can get everything done all in an afternoon.

Ok I'll give it a read, and I'll check out the other threads as well.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It took almost 2 months from the date of purchase for my plates to arrive. I got my HOV stickers a day or two later. When I filled out the HOV sticker application, I filled in my VIN but wrote "New Vehicle" in the license plate # section. I mailed out the HOV application earlier in the same day I purchased my Prius (my salesguy had given me the VIN over the phone the day before pick-up so I could send in the application and get my insurance info changed quickly as well).

9. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah I decided to go down to the Embarcadaro office to get my hybrid transmitter and just send the applications in now, the worst is it costs me $8, the best is I get my stickers shortly after the plates. It might somehow mean "more" since in this area I need the FasTrak transmitter and to get that they verify the vehicle via purchase reciept.

10. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can order your HOV stickers without your plates. Just write "new vehicle" in the boxes where the plate number is supposed to go and just write your VIN number in. I did mine that was and it took about 4 weeks.

My plates arrived about 2 or 3 weeks later.

11. yauman

yauman New Member

When I got my Prius in Sept 2005, it took a whole 10 weeks to get my plates!! That's the longest I had to wait. My HOV sticker took 4 weeks. That the 2nd set - the 1st was for my Civic Hybrid which I got in Aug 2005 - when they first issued it and it took 3 weeks. Note, in both cases, I never swapped my transponder. All I did was enclosed a copy of my latest FastTrak bill with the transponder serial number highlited.

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took me 6 weeks in southern Cal. I thought you had to wait for the plate to get the freeway sticker. I saw so many cars without plates and with the stickers that I finally mailed it in anyway. The plates and stickers came about 1 week apart.

13. william_apple

william_apple New Member

Took me about six weeks to get the registration paper, and the plate comes in one week after. However, I'm still waiting for the sticker. One thing I found useful to check the registration status other than DMV is: www.carfax.com. You could type in your vin number for free, and if it has one or more records, you know it's already in DMV computer. Good luck :)

14. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J.Wilkie @ May 16 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]256438[/snapback]</div>
    That procedure very definitely did not work for many of us, as detailed in the message thread I noted earlier and in other threads. I had my application returned to me with instructions to re-apply when I received my plate number. It appears either that DMV has changed its procedures or that different DMV clerks opening the mail have worked out their own individual procedures that are inconsistent with each other.

A new-vehicle owner doesn't actually need the plates, just the plate number.

15. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(william_apple @ May 17 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]256852[/snapback]</div>
    *sigh* mine has 0 records.. grrrrr

16. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

My reg. took 2 months. Remember, people buy more cars in spring... :(

17. labprius

labprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They have 90 days to get you your plates.

18. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took 7 weeks for me to get plates and reg. Still no HOV sticker, 3 weeks after resending app with plate info.

19. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(labprius @ May 19 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]258223[/snapback]</div>
    Well they can kiss my butt for 90 days then! Especially when someone local to me as well got their plates 10 days after date of purchase (oh yah they purchased AFTER I did)

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My guess is that it varies from State to State. I had my VIN and Credit Union Paper work etc and I walked in and got the registration and plates right there and then.