1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long to leave prius on w/out moving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shawn7, Jan 16, 2006.

1. shawn7

shawn7 New Member

We have a local Drive In movie here in town and was wondering if the battery would hold up during the show? My Denali is a pain because if you cut the ignition on, the lights automatically turn on.

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    kinda hard to say. summer before last, i sat for almost an hour waiting on someone (they said they were gonna run in and run out). it was hot so had air going.

you could leave it running until you run out of gas as the ICE will cycle on automatically to charge the battery.

3. Howard

Howard New Member

Drive in Movie. Where could this be?

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Yup, Dave's right. Just make sure you have gas and everything'll be OK. The car will do what it needs to in order to stay healthy.

FWIW, there's still a drive movie theatre in Skowhegan, Maine. As well as an absolutely beautiful restored old theatre in town Skowhegan. Skow town is where "Empire Falls" was partly filmed.

5. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Last I heard, there was one just outside Columbus, OH. Two screens, two movies each per night. I miss it!

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at:

http://www.driveintheater.com/

They have a list of a lot of drive-ins around the US. Not totally sure how up-to-date it is, but it's a good starting place.

8. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't drive-in's use FM receivers? Think about bringing a battery powered boombox.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The one by us has those little crappy speakers if you get there soon enough.

10. shawn7

shawn7 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure we have plenty of Gas prior to going.

Ours just changed to the FM deal. I'm located in Beaufort SC. I think there is one other in the state or it's in Jessup GA... can't remember.

~Shawn

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, leave it running ("Ready" in the dash display) and in PARK, not Neutral. In Neutral it will not recharge the main battery and you will be hosed. If it is not "Ready" it will not recharge either battery and you will be doubly hosed.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw on a thread (before the crash) where they simply pressed the Power button to ACC and had the MFD off for the duration of the movie. It should just make it, as long as it isn't one of those 2 and a 1/2 hour long ones.

13. fatale

fatale New Member

I just learned the hard way that the Prius' standard battery won't do much justice on its own. One movie maximum with the car in accessory mode (pushing the start button with your foot off the gas). After two movies, I needed a boost - and boosting is a pain with that little tiny + terminal. Oh well.

Luckily there was a tow truck driver (with tow truck) watching the same drive-in movie. Unluckily for me, he wasn't feeling too generous and grabbed $20 off me. Doh! I agree with other people in that leaving the car on would be just fine. The only thing that would drive me crazy, is seeing all the dash gages. I am almost tempted to install a second battery in the rear spare compartment...

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone done a MobMov?

Mobile Movie

Seems like this is designed for the Prius.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've left the Prius running all day while camping, with just the fridge plugged in. The amount of gas you have is the limiting factor, because the car will turn on and off as needed to keep the batteries up. It'll turn on more often at a movie with the stereo and the air conditioning on, but you should be fine as long as you don't run out of gas. Or popcorn. :)

16. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On your Denali, wouldn't lifting the handbrake turn off the headlights? I know volkswagens do this.

17. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my Chevrolet truck I was able to turn off the headlights this way.

Next to the knob you turn lights on, there is a small button about 1/4" in size. If you push it 3 times the headlights will turn off. If you push it once more the lights will come back on.

18. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 24 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]291336[/snapback]</div>
    Just a reminder that you don't need to get the booster clip on the small threaded bolt at the jumper terminal, you can attach quite easily to the metal flange that comes up from the bolt, even with large cables.

Dave