1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long to live the Prius On without being inside

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm getting a bit paranoid about the starting cycle which I would like to avoid. Is a 30 min stop with the doors locked too long even without A/C? I would guess that it does not harm the car but does it make any sense in terms of fuel efficiency?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why are you paranoid about the starting cycle? The Prius is designed to efficiently restart after being shut down, including storing hot coolant in the U.S. versions. I might consider leaving it running for a very short stop, but otherwise I don't try to out-think the Toyota engineers or the smarts built into the Prius control systems.

Tom

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree if your stop is like a 5 minute stop and you feel it safe that your car wont get stolen leave it running. I think 10 minutes is stretching it. I will leave mine in the ready state when stopping at a gas station fo purchase a beverage.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just leave me the keys; I'll look after it while you're gone.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius was designed with a starting program unlike any other car before: The powerful MG1 spins up the engine, with juice from the big traction battery, without gas or spark being applied, and under reduced compression, due to the variable-valve-timing. Once the engine is spinning about 1,000 rpm, and only then, are spark and gas applied, along with normal compression.

Note that whether you like it or not, your engine will stop and re-start repeatedly in normal driving. It was designed to do this, and it does it with less stress on the engine than a conventional car that only gets started once.

If you leave the car in Ready mode, the engine will still shut off, and the battery will go down.

The ONLY time you should leave the car on and unattended is if you need to heat the cabin in bitterly-cold weather because you just cannot stand to sit in it without some heat.

Note that 30 minutes in Ready mode will waste gas, as well as serving no useful purpose. Toyota knew what it was doing when it designed the car the way it did. Stop worrying, and enjoy the car. The car is just fine if you power it down every time you get out of it.

6. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 4 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]455337[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel's got it right. I agree wholeheartedly.

7. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Jun 4 2007, 10:33 PM) [snapback]455405[/snapback]</div>
    Well if it is hot outside couldn't the same be said about keeping the cabin cool with the A/C.

8. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 4 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]455425[/snapback]</div>
    In really cold weather there is not much you can do except wait for the engine to warm up; in hot weather you can open all windows and the car will cool down pretty fast.

9. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 4 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]455430[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Ohio in cold weather we put on a warm thick jacket, a hat, and gloves. Plus we park in the garage when available.
    And nobody wants to see me walking around in my speedo in the summer. So I have no problems leaving it run as I stop in my local gas station to buy an ice cold Pepsi and a bottle of milk for the boy. It only takes 2-5 minutes, I do want to add though that I still power down to refuel, I would never want to take my chances.