1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How low can the price of gas go???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bgdrewsif, Sep 15, 2006.

1. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So tonight, (september 14th) Gas prices here in Bowling Green, Ohio have reached $2.10 /gallon... Just the other day I fueled up at $2.21 / gallon thinking I was getting a huge bargain... so how low can gas prices go??? Will we drop back below the $2.00 mark? (And yes, you folks in California have my sympathies)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know.. up here, it dropped below $1/litre already but I'm sure Ontario is probably in the 90 or high 80 cent range <_<

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $2.10?!! Wowzers!

I just bought 9.555 gallons at $2.47/gal and was darned glad to do it. Then again, the last time I got gas, it was still near $3.00. But that was three weeks and 675 miles ago.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our low price here is $2.73, most in the mid $2.80's. I love low prices no matter the root cause for the sudden drop. I guess the gas companies figure they have made enough $$ from us for this year.

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 15 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]319926[/snapback]</div>
    ??? I'll admit, despite the fact that I live close enough to Canada to get CBC on the local cable, I have no idea what that equates to in a $US / gallons measurement... :(

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok folks. My 2 cents worth says the price of gas is getting lower because of the the elections which are coming up. Who would like to wager that right after the elections the prices go back up?

What do ya think?

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Sep 15 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]319939[/snapback]</div>
    No bet.

I've said it all along.

And gas dropped to $2.75 here in So. Cal.

8. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 15 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]319940[/snapback]</div>
    Agree with you , it's all about the elections. Notice that Ohio that important swing state it's $2.10. Don't worry it will jump back up after the elections. Wait until 08 it might even be below $2.00.
    FishHawk

9. kDB

kDB New Member

currently it's $2.15/gallon here. i'm expecting $1.85/gallon around thanksgiving.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Sep 15 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]319976[/snapback]</div>
    Just two weeks ago the Dems were on Sunday talking shows touting lowering gas prices as a campaign platform issue.

Maybe just maybe the same ding dongs who think they can control a marketplace that deals withs the purchasing and selling of tens of millions of barrels of oil a day and think they can control the price of an individual barrel of oil would wake up and stop targeting other free enterprises like Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, etc. It is a shame when supposedly smart people display in front of millions their total ignorance of economics - especially when they (and i refer to Dems here) have been the ones to benefit from it the most.

But you may be right - its a Republican trick. You probably also think the war in Iraq was a war for oil. A quick question - why is gas so cheap in NJ and that a Dem state?

11. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

Here in Portage County, Ohio (near Akron) gas was $2.05 yesterday. Last Friday it was down to $2.15 and had dropped to $2.09 by the next day. So the drop is slowing but it is still means lower prices.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 15 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]319940[/snapback]</div>
    I have a quick way to lower gas prices significantly - drop or decrease the tax on a gallon of gas. It is one of the most repressive taxes we have. The Dems should be for this all the way since it hurts the poor disproportionately while the rich just shrug it off - but we all know better - there is not a tax the Dems don't like even if it flies against what is supposedly one of their ideologies - but I think the only ideology they have is gaining power. I also wonder why they are so anti-WalMart - a company that saves their biggest constituents billions of dollars and employes hundreds of thousands of them. I love that Mayor Daley vetoed that Dem sponsored anti-WalMart bill in chicago this week - amusing how the dems who sponsored it were found to have shopped at WalMart themselves - hypocracy at its finest. And now the dems are focusing their attention on Coca-Cola in addition to McDonalds - cool - might as well shoot yourself in every foot you've got. how many Americans either work for them or shop there or buy it..... And there is no need to wonder why the dems have seen their lead in the polls drop again and again. the ned lamont/stalinist/anti-war/dems are heading off into trash bin of political history if they cannot find some new leadership or gain some common ground with the rest of America..

sorry about the diatribe - just sad to see

13. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Being an Independent I feel fairly free to honestly slag on Democrats and Republicans...but I'm not sure I can buy into the conspiracy theories here which imply, if I'm interepreting correctly, that fat cat republicans pick up the phone and cause a 30% drop in the price of gas. Man, if that's true, then investigative reporters would have a field day with it and you can take it to the bank that word of how it happened would leak.
    I think it more due to the predicted horrific hurricane season that didn't happen and the end of vacation season. Yep, market forces do actually apply in a market system.
    On, the other hand, if the republicans could control it, would they? Hell yeah.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Sep 15 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]319994[/snapback]</div>
    I think the dems would do the same too - they actually tried to make it a political plank several weeks ago - what ding-dongs... although i am not sure which one the bigger ding-dong would be -- the ones proposing they could control the price of a barrel of oil or the ones that believed them... probably both groups deserve the award.

15. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hold on to your Prius--the real question is "How HIGH will can gas prices go?" And we will all find out when (and that is when, not if) the Bushies bomb Iran.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadHungarian @ Sep 15 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]320013[/snapback]</div>
    No i dont think they will. We all prefer them to build as many nuclear weapons as they can.

17. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A brief dip to $2.159 across town has bounced back to $2.199. Meanwhile the close stations are around $2.459. Probably won't go over to the cheap side until I need a full tank, which may make me miss the really low prices...

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Sep 15 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]320026[/snapback]</div>
    one of the best things about the prius is the range provided by its milage and fuel tank. you can go 500 miles b4 your next fill-up. by then prices will be that much lower :D at least that is the silver lining - you could always look at it from the other side.

19. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Sep 15 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]319994[/snapback]</div>
    They don't have to get on the phone. The oil companies have plenty of incentive to keep Republicans in power and will do whatever they can to make that happen on their own. It has all happened before.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Sep 15 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]320054[/snapback]</div>
    In a way you are correct. Why would the oil companies want the dems in power if they are going to slap them with taxes and other BS - especially when the oil companies were sucking wind a few years ago and the dems did not do a thing to help them?

Those evil oil companies and that evil walmart and that evil mcdonalds, and that evil coca cola - is there any company the dems like?? maybe one that is not successful or does not employ thousands or pay billions in taxes?