1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How major are these repairs to a 2011 Prius 3 and how much will the resell value diminish?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by newprius1, May 21, 2013.

1. newprius1

newprius1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering a 2011 Prius 3 with 19k miles on it. The car is in nearly new condition but it was in an accident 6 months ago. It was parked when someone ran into it denting the very left side of the bumper (see photo). There was no police report and the insurance covered the repairs (so the car is not considered salvage). The accident/repairs do not appear on Carfax yet either. The repairs were done at the dealer/Toyota-Certified-collision center and cost around $6,500. The rear bumper and Left Quarter Outer panel were replaced with certified Toyota parts. Additionally, the body shop said inspection of the car did not show any damage to the uni-body.

Would this be considered a major repair and how much will resell value be diminished 3-4 years down the road? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2010PriusIII

2010PriusIII Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "major repair" is going to be a bit subjective since it wasn't totalled, but my vote is Absitively. Sucks to be the seller, but go find another Pri, they are out there.

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! wher the photo? how much are they asking?

5. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sounds like enough damage to total the car. I've seen cars with less damage then that at the salvage auto auctions.

6. 14T shelley

14T shelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets get real here. Obviously someone disclosed the damage since car-fax etc knew nothing of the incident. Without prior knowledge is the repair detectable? I have seen vehicles totaled that should not have been and I have seen cars repaired that should have been scrapped. What you are describing is not much more than a fender-bender and a body shop that charges $$$$ for their repairs.
    Are you looking for a car to "drive into the ground" or keep for over 6-7 years? If so then you don't care about its slightly blemished past as it won't affect future resale value. If you keep a car 2-3 years and then trade it as a well-cared-for used car on a later model....you don't want this car.
    Bottom line is how good a deal you can get on it right now if you are the type that uses a car for transportation rather than "marrying" it.

Bill

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can look at this two ways; 1) yes it will affect the resale value - but doesn't that mean you should get a great deal on it? And if you hang on to it for 5-7 years, what will it matter then? 2) Or if you're worried you won't be able to unload it when it's time to sell/trade in, move on to another one.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would consider a qtr panel repair to be major. No, $6500 will not total a car, but this is a sizable repair. It will definitely affect the resale value at this point in the vehicle's life.

iPhone ?

9. newprius1

newprius1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your response. See photo attached.

The asking price is 18.5k

10. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That damage is on the rear, opposite from the side with the battery.

I don't think there is anything important there; that does not seem bad to me at all.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the photo before or after the "repair"?

12. newprius1

newprius1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you everyone one for all your responses. I am still deliberating but will have to decide very soon.

This damage is the before photo. Unfortunately, I don't have an "after" photo. In its repaired state, the car looks almost like a new car.

Attached Files:

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see much there, do they have the repair breakdown? i would like to know where the $6500. is? my daughter got hit by a deer, windshield, hood, right front fender, front passenger door, yada yadda yadda, and that was only five grande.

14. newprius1

newprius1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

bisco, most of the cost is labor. The parts total came to 1.3k (mostly the bumper, lamp assembly and left quarter outer panel), paint and disposal was 800, and the rest was labor.

JMD likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a winner. if they have discounted it enough over a non accident one, i would go for it.

16. newprius1

newprius1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I ended up taking advantage of the recent Memorial Day weekend sales and went with a new 2013 Prius.

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!! Enjoy the new ride!